RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 8:02 PM

Question 2 meter antenna

What is the best mobile 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna with a good magnetic mount. I have a jeep grand cherokee laredo and i want to place the antenna on top of the jeep.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Pick one. There's not a huge difference between them. Probably wouldn't hurt to find a fairly hefty mag-mount, but other than that, not much difference. 'Best' can mean a lot of things, what you you mean by 'best'?
- 'Doc
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I use and like the Larsen brand for mobile antennas.
Old 02-14-2013, 1:23 AM

I bought a MFJ 2m/440 magnet mount almost 20 years ago for only around 16 bucks new! Still works and performs wonderfully.
Old 02-14-2013, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
I bought a MFJ 2m/440 magnet mount almost 20 years ago for only around 16 bucks new! Still works and performs wonderfully.
The one I bought is the MFJ 1724B, and it now sells for around $24.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2013, 8:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Most whips are stainless steel, which is not a great conductor for antennas compared to copper, etc. Larsen whips used to be stainless steel plated with copper then nickel, which is supposed to improve radiation slightly.
prcguy
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucear View Post
What is the best mobile 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna with a good magnetic mount. I have a jeep grand cherokee laredo and i want to place the antenna on top of the jeep.
What's holding you back from doing a permanent mount? Even the "best" mag mount is still non-optimal. I've used them but their only admirable quality is convenience and they sometimes have a plus in keeping the XYL from squawking. Otherwise, grab the drill!!
Old 02-14-2013, 2:33 PM

-IF- you have the choice, doing a 'permanent' mount is 'better' than using a mag-mount. It's seldom a 'daylight/dark' sort of difference but there will be some. At the very least, it eliminates the differences in where you place that antenna, which can be good. Convenience is the biggy with a mag-mount, but that convenience can also turn around and bite you. Convenience always means you had to 'give up' something to get it.
As for 'looks' and the opinion of a 'significant other', you are on your own bud! I'm silly, but I ain't stupid, I'll agree with her in a 'New York' second! You know??
- 'Doc
Old 02-14-2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5TWB View Post
What's holding you back from doing a permanent mount? Even the "best" mag mount is still non-optimal. I've used them but their only admirable quality is convenience and they sometimes have a plus in keeping the XYL from squawking. Otherwise, grab the drill!!
I once got 2 months of bloody hell by the other half for putting a permanent mount antenna on a Mercedes. I would have been better off buying a separate clunker just to do my hamming in!
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
I once got 2 months of bloody hell by the other half for putting a permanent mount antenna on a Mercedes. I would have been better off buying a separate clunker just to do my hamming in!
You're lucky it was only 2 months... lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I have not set up a mobile yet but I have read that Larsen antennas are really good. Larsen antennas are used by a lot of police and fire departments, as well as ambulances. Good enough for them, good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I am curious why you want a 5/8s wave antenna. Are you working simplex or repeaters?

Bytes are cheap so drop those acronyms.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:26 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8zcc
I am curious why you want a 5/8s wave antenna. Are you working simplex or repeaters?
If I used a monoband 2m radio I would be attached to a 5/8wave regardless if I was using repeaters or simplex. I use a Larsen NMO2/70 (1/2wave on 2m) only because I have a dualband radio. Shortly my APRS(currently on a 1/4wave) will be diplexed with a 6m Alinco, I got at a fleamarket, to a Larsen 5/8wave.

Last edited by kayn1n32008; 02-15-2013 at 1:31 PM..