Which Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
I have a Yaesu FT-8800 and need I need a really good antenna. I am looking for a NMO mount. I like to monitor the air band as well and just wanted to know what antenna everyone would recommend. Thanks alot!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a 7800 and had good luck with the basic dual band antennas. I had a Larsen NMO-270sh which was a 1/4 wave on VHF. Worked quite well on both 2 meters and 70 centimeters. I used it to monitor a few works things, mostly VHF and 800MHz. Worked just fine for 800MHz, but never really tried anything else.
I later switched to a 1/4 wave VHF whip. A 1/4 wave VHF whip will work on 70CM with a low SWR, however it does have a funny radiation pattern. Was a bit more low profile. 800MHz coverage suffered, but not enough to be a problem for me.

I got rid of the radio a year ago and now just have VHF and 800MHz radios in the truck, ditched the dual band antenna, but I keep it in the garage for testing. Now just have 1/4 wave VHF whip and a 1/4 wave 800MHz whip.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the Larsen 2/70. Have used them for years. If you can go for a bigger antenna I highly recommend the Diamond SG-7900A (not NMO). It's a fullsize beasty and has tilt-over for garages.

Last edited:

LtDoc

I think almost any dual-band antenna should do you just dandy. None of them that I'm aware of include the 'air' bands, but only for monitoring, if the antenna is sort of 'close' it should work okay. I have a favorite for 2m/70cm that does very well into the 150 Mhz range, no idea how it would work lower than 140 Mhz.
Good luck.
- 'doc

donnie_ke6don

FWIW, Im running a Diamond K 412SNMO mount with a Larson NMO 2/70B antenna on the hood of my Jeep and
I ve had good reports with it.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.