RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default G5RV and Scanner Antenna

Ok I am looking at reinstalling my G5RV antenna on my vent pipe on my roof. I have the smaller Radio Shack discome scanner antenna mounted on the pipe. Would I be ok to mount the center insulator of the G5RV under the Disone? The discone antenna is hooked to a Yaesu FT897 not a scanner. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-14-2013, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you mount the G5RV a foot or more below the cone elements the G5RV will not know the Discone is there and any interaction to the Discone will probably be unnoticeable.
prcguy
Old 04-15-2013, 9:16 AM

The more distance you can get between the two antennas the less each will be affected by the other. That 'distance' can be vertical instead of horizontal, so raising that discone a couple/few feet above the G5RV isn't a bad idea. That would -lessen- that interaction but it's still going to be there. I doubt if you will notice them 'interacting', it won't be a huge thingy at all.
- 'Doc

(Don't touch the center conductor of the discone's feed line to your tongue while transmitting on the G5RV! You definitely WILL notice that. )
Old 04-15-2013, 2:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The ladder line on a G5RV is intended to radiate under some circumstances. As such you'll probably want to keep it away from other receive antennas. Another point: if your scanner is on while you're listening on ten meters, you'll probably hear the LO leaking in.

Really, it is best to keep these antennas as far apart as possible.