G5RV and Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Ok I am looking at reinstalling my G5RV antenna on my vent pipe on my roof. I have the smaller Radio Shack discome scanner antenna mounted on the pipe. Would I be ok to mount the center insulator of the G5RV under the Disone? The discone antenna is hooked to a Yaesu FT897 not a scanner. Thanks for the feedback.

LtDoc

The more distance you can get between the two antennas the less each will be affected by the other. That 'distance' can be vertical instead of horizontal, so raising that discone a couple/few feet above the G5RV isn't a bad idea. That would -lessen- that interaction but it's still going to be there. I doubt if you will notice them 'interacting', it won't be a huge thingy at all.
- 'Doc

(Don't touch the center conductor of the discone's feed line to your tongue while transmitting on the G5RV! You definitely WILL notice that. :))

ab3a

The ladder line on a G5RV is intended to radiate under some circumstances. As such you'll probably want to keep it away from other receive antennas. Another point: if your scanner is on while you're listening on ten meters, you'll probably hear the LO leaking in.

Really, it is best to keep these antennas as far apart as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.