RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 3:10 PM

Default Horizontal beam Vs Vertical beam antennas

Horizontal beam Vs Vertical beam antennas
I have a used Maco Comet 6 Element beam which is really 3 elements vertical and 3 elements horizontal. I guess you use either vertical or horizontal but which one to pic. Is one good for one thing and the other used for something else? Can both be hooked to the radio? If I was to use one which would it be? Thanks Ron
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2013, 5:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello
Nice antenna, Horizontal is mostly used for making distance contacts or DX and Vertical would mostly be used for making more local or shorter contacts. Not sure about that exact antenna but many years ago I used to have a Moonraker beam 4 element Vertical/Horizontal with with a switch installed to change from vert to horiz. What radio will you be using with the beam?
Old 10-05-2013, 5:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most CB is vertical so that should be used for most communications. For longer distance signals, the vertical polarization may shift in the atmosphere so you may or may not have better signal on them using horizontal polarization. Your best bet would be to configure your antenna so you can switch between them as desired and then start with vertical and for DX contacts check to see if the horizontal polarization helps or hurts and use whichever is better at that time.
Old 10-05-2013, 6:50 PM

Thanks Dan
Will be using a 2995 ranger. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DRC View Post
Hello
Nice antenna, Horizontal is mostly used for making distance contacts or DX and Vertical would mostly be used for making more local or shorter contacts. Not sure about that exact antenna but many years ago I used to have a Moonraker beam 4 element Vertical/Horizontal with with a switch installed to change from vert to horiz. What radio will you be using with the beam?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 AM

In general, propagation switches between vertical and horizontal polarization. If one fades 'in' the other is fading 'out'. I've found that it's really nice to be able to switch between polarizations at times. It can make quite a difference at times, and at others, nothing helps. Talk to 'Momma Nature' about that.
A horizontal beam is 'easier' to put up, doesn't usually have any 'electrical' problems like a vertically polarized antenna can. It's usually not a problem, really, but can have some odd effects.
And before anyone get's into the circular polarization thingy, it isn't a good idea all things considered. It does serve a good purpose for it's purpose, but for typical HF stuff it's just not worth the effort. Oh well...
- 'Doc
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Thanks Dan
Will be using a 2995 ranger. Ron
Your welcome Ron, I would run 2 coax cable's and install a V/H switch in your shack so you can switch between the 2. I think you may like this beam once you get it up in the air and tuned. And the 2995 is a great radio.

Last edited by N8DRC; 10-06-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks for your help. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DRC View Post
Your welcome Ron, I would run 2 coax cable's and install a V/H switch in your shack so you can switch between the 2. I think you may like this beam once you get it up in the air and tuned. And the 2995 is a great radio.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDoc View Post
In general, propagation switches between vertical and horizontal polarization. If one fades 'in' the other is fading 'out'. I've found that it's really nice to be able to switch between polarizations at times. It can make quite a difference at times, and at others, nothing helps. Talk to 'Momma Nature' about that.
A horizontal beam is 'easier' to put up, doesn't usually have any 'electrical' problems like a vertically polarized antenna can. It's usually not a problem, really, but can have some odd effects.
And before anyone get's into the circular polarization thingy, it isn't a good idea all things considered. It does serve a good purpose for it's purpose, but for typical HF stuff it's just not worth the effort. Oh well...
- 'Doc
Exactly. You use which ever one is better at the time.
Old 10-07-2013, 1:56 PM

Hooked up a cheap WORKMAN CX-3 antenna switch to test things. Hope the switch is good enough to do the job. See PICS OF CONSTRUCTION.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2013, 6:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try it and see how it goes. My first reaction is that the leads are too long and that you won't get much isolation between the two orientations. Try it for a while and see how it goes, you can always modify the switch later (by using shielded coax instead of just wire between the connectors and the switch). Sounds like a cool project though, that set up should Kick A** !

workman cx-3 Product Reviews
Old 10-07-2013, 6:44 PM

Thanks Will try it. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
Try it and see how it goes. My first reaction is that the leads are too long and that you won't get much isolation between the two orientations. Try it for a while and see how it goes, you can always modify the switch later (by using shielded coax instead of just wire between the connectors and the switch). Sounds like a cool project though, that set up should Kick A** !

workman cx-3 Product Reviews
Old 10-07-2013, 8:07 PM

You will have cross talk between ports, your SWR maybe higher also with this switch. I would rewire the switch if it was mine. Google WORKMAN CX-3 on Eham, it has a very poor rating. But it maybe ok for your type of use. I must be blind but I do not see the horizontal elements in the picture. But if your going to use a switch box I guess I must be blind, LOL Nice Antenna! And I always like the Ranger radio's, good radios.