17m/6m dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I have read that if a dipole antenna has an element cut for 17m, this same dipole can be used for 6m also (adjusted with an antenna tuner of course). But, the 1:1 current balun I have is rated for 1.8 to 30 MHz. So, am I out of luck in using the 17m dipole for 6m work?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
a quarterwave at 18 MHz would work as a 3/4 wave on 54 MHz, so yep, that should work. As for the balun you could make one out of coax that should work for both bands. I would try the 1.8-30 one you have at real low power, just to see what the SWR is...who knows, it might work. And if its only for receive, just leave the balun off. I never use a balun for my dipoles, and transmit up to 1200W with no issues, equipment wise.

nanZor

You can just add additional ferrite chokes rated for use up at 6M. Radio Shack #273-105 snap-on chokes are rated for 30-300mhz. I'd use at least 4 of them.

I've added these to my own 3-30 mhz chokes, as I find that in some cases, they really don't provide much impedance beyond 25 mhz or so. The type 43 chokes like the RS pick up the slack from about 25 mhz and up, so I snap a few on beyond the existing HF choke for antenna situations just like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.