What band split? 430-440, or 440-450.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Many times when I see Comet/Diamond/Maldol antennas, the band split shown is 144/430. Why not 144/440, since these are sold here where UHF repeaters are in the 440-450 split. So are these antennas cut for 440-450, or 430-440? Do the ones that come to the USA just use the same packaging as the foreign ones? Any feedback on this?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Band split

These antennas are not just sold in the US, but world wide. In Europe, the lower end is used for UHF. Generally, the antenna is good to at least 460 or 470. UHF bandplan shows you the UK plan.

N4KVE

I understand, so do they use the same antenna world wide, or are antennas tuned for the bandplan of the country where they are shipped?

wbswetnam

I understand, so do they use the same antenna world wide, or are antennas tuned for the bandplan of the country where they are shipped?

I'm not sure if they are pretuned or not, but they are generally adjustable with an allen wrench (often suppiled with the antenna!) so I imagine that the fine tuning is up to you.

N8IAA

Sorry, I was talking about HT antennas which have no adjustment.

As noted, if you are buying an antenna that is manufactured in Japan for the bands they operate on, it is going to be factory tuned to the frequency portions they are allocated. Europe uses different frequencies than we do in the USA. There are manufacturers in this country that make band specific antennas where we are allocated.
Check out Larsen and Laird for a couple.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.