New license - Looking for 2 meter for inside attic mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrvan89

Just took by technician test at the Memphis Free Fest this past weekend, got my call sign Monday: KM4AEM. I have been out of radio, if you call CB radio for 40 years. I do still have my Hygain V-674B from the early 70's.

I used the online test sites and practiced for couple of weeks while watching TV in the evenings . Much of the old stuff came back quickly once I got going.

Thinking about Yaesu FT-2900R and I need a inside the attic antenna mount antenna of some type. Don't know if I should get a mobile antenna (dual use) and use it inside or what outside antenna would work good inside. I saw MJF-1622, as I also might like getting a 10 meter radio as well?

Any comments on 1622 or other suggestions. Really like this site.

sloop

If you stick with 144 and 440 try the Arrow 144/440 J-pole...sells for about $40 and it will mount about anywhere. Great little antenna.

teufler

CONGRATS ON THE NEW LICENSE..SHAME THAT MEMPHIS HAM RADIO IS CLOSED NOW. HIGH MUCH HEIGHT HAVE YOU GOT IN THE ATIC? IN A PICH, A MAG MOUNT ON A PIZZA TRAY FOR A GROUNDPLANE WILL WORK FOR MOST OF THE REPEATERS. AFTER YOU GET BACK "INTO THE SWING OF THINGS", YOU WILL STANDARDIZE ON ONE REPEATER THEN A 3 ELEMENT BEAM WILL WORK. THEN YOU COULD BUILD A TAPE MEASURE BEAM.
WB2HOL Tape Measure Beam
http://theleggios.net/wb2hol/projects/rdf/tape_bm.htm
They are a short afternoon project, they work good, great gain, can be used for fox hunting but as a dedicated atic antenna, they are great, cheap, You can assemble in the attic, so they are easy to get in the crawl space.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I live in a restricted antenna area. I use a dual band mag mount on a wire closet rack. It works well for all of the local repeaters and even a few over 15 miles away. I looked at the attic, but the cabling and vaulted ceilings in my house presented too many problems.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I once took a 4' x 4' piece of sheet metal, installed an NMO mount dead center and put a Larsen 2/70 dual band antenna on it.. Worked well for local (within 25 miles) repeater and simplex work..

mrvan89

Thanks for the information. I have room to mount 2 feet above the rafters, then about 10 feet more to roof rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.