Picking one out for Yeasu 8900R mobile mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolechiw

I see that the CR8900R is made for the radio specifically in mind, but I see some bad reviews on it. The HV7A seems to get better reviews, and at 10 - 20 dollars more seems of a higher quality system. I've looked at the HV7CXA, but at 2m it's a little tall for me in an urban environment. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these? I live in chicago but oddly enough I still can't find a place that sells either of them to inspect before I buy. I fear getting the CR8900R and finding out I should've payed a little extra for something sturdier. Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
AES in Milwaukee has the CR8900 in stock.

My experience with 6m mobile antennas is that a full 1/4 wavelength (about 54 inches) with a good ground is necessary for good performance. Shortened 6m antennas just don't seem to work well, in my experience.

Remember the Yaesu FT-8900 is only an FM radio. There are considerably fewer 6m FM repeaters than 2m repeaters and there are even less 10m repeaters. Granted, you may find someone on 6 or 10 FM simplex to talk to, but I think that'd be rare. Bottom line, you have to weigh the effort you go to for antennas on 10, 6, 2, and 440 against how many times you will use them.

One other point, most FM activity on 10m is above 28.5 MHz which is the extent of your Technician privileges. You'll have to upgrade to General to talk on 10 FM.

jolechiw

That is a good point, I was mostly looking to receive on 10m and 6m as I drive a lot. I know my tech license wont permit me to Tx on 10m, but when I'm cruising down to Tennessee or somewhere I'd like to scan it. I'm not completely set on the 8900R but I thought considering it's not that much more of an investment to get the extra bands if I'm already going to be under the hood and wiring etc...maybe I should just get a 2m/70cm mobile.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Don't forget that a 2 meter 5/8th's wave whip will work as a 1/4 wave on 6 meters. If you are only going to RX on 10 meters, it would probably work well enough. You'll still want something for 70cm, though.

mrweather

In the past I've used a Larsen NMO150 as a 5/8 on 2m and 1/4 on 6m, and have had good results. For 70cm I used a monoband gain antenna. Both were connected to my FT-8900 through a diplexer. I never had any interest in 10m.

I believe Diamond and Comet make tri-banders but I have no experience with them. I did use Maldol EX-510 at one time. It wasn't anything spectacular other than being a tri-band antenna in a compact package.

jhooten

Most of the folks I've seen complaining about the CR8900 were those who bought one on ebay from a dealer in Asia to save a few bucks. The one they got was cut for the Asian bands not the US bands. Buy from a US dealer and make sure you get one for the US bands. It took a 34,000 acre wild fire to do mine in along with the vehicle is was on, and I beat the snot out of it on a regular basis up to then.

Status
Not open for further replies.