Coax Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireems3

Wondering if 50' is too long a run for RG58 coax to a 2m rig (max of about 25 watts) in the house?

Would be used mostly for monitoring and occasional brief transmitting. Planning to build just a Quarter-wave 2m vertical antenna with an SO239 and copper wire.

Thanks.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You could do much better than RG58 by using LMR400 Ultraflex or similar. RG58 is going to result in almost a 3dB loss over that 50 feet at 146 mHz, vs. LMR400 only about 1 dB. Following the maxim that each 3dB equates to doubling (or halving, in this case) your power.... you'll be giving up almost 50% of your transmitted and received signals. Getting better coax than RG58 will make a major difference, especially in a quarter-wave ground plane antenna that exhibits no gain. There are many calculators to figure coax cable loss for various types of cable... search here or Internet in general.

fireems3

Thank you for the response. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks again!!!

dksac2

No need to use the "Ultra Flex" LMR 400, the standard LMR 400 is much less expensive and gives up next to nothing in signal loss over the ultra flex. I use the ultra flex if it going to a beam with a rotator or for jumpers. Buy the standard LMR 400 and then get the super flex for the short portion from your lightning protector to the radio if necessary. With a feed through board in my window, I use LMR 400 for the entire feed to the outside of the feed through board. Ultra flex is only needed if you need to make tighter bends.

73's John

Status
Not open for further replies.