homebrew 2 meter antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyvb

looking to build a homebrew antenna not sure if i should go with a 1/2 wave or a 1/4 wave once i get my license. i take my test Saturday and have good faith in myself. i digress. im looking to have it resonant at 146Mhz. i did the 468 divided by 146 times 12 for feet and got 38.46 inches. thinking of using 10 gauge copper wire and a SO 239 connector with plate and soldering them all on and also wondering if there is a big difference in 1/2 vs 1/4 wave repeaters are withing 25 miles of me.
thanks and 73s
Joe

KG4NEL

Yes, there's a big difference in how your radio looks at a 1/2-wave radiator vs. a quarter wave one. Namely, the quarter wave one is a lot easier to match...the first chart here explains it all with the current/voltage graph: AA5TB - The End Fed Half Wave Antenna. Voltage peak = bad.

25 miles isn't a challenge for most repeaters unless you or their antennas are in a hole. Build one of those SO-239 ground planes like you describe, and you'll do fine. As a bonus, if you have a dual band radio it'll also work on 440 as a 3/4-wave, although not as well.

Good luck on Saturday!

teufler

first time, I would stay with the 1/4 wave. You could try the jpole using 300 ohm tv twin lead. No ground plane to mess with, and you make a loop on the top of the wire and you can use a tree to pull up. Several designs of this antenna , have been used as emergency antennas that fit in a bag.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
He didn't actually say that his half wave antenna would be end fed, though it certainly could be reasonably interpreted that way. A 1/4 wave end fed antenna with a proper ground plane or radial system would be the easiest home brew antenna to construct and work perfectly well if nicely elevated.

He could also construct a half wave dipole fairly easily and it would work about as well as the quarter wave vertical if mounted in vertical orientation. If strung horizontally it would likely not work well for FM at VFH as the vast majority of transmitting antennas are vertically polarized.

joeyvb

Thanks to everyone who helped me built a 1/4 wave SO 239 connector ground plane and it came out great just gotta check SWR and I'll be operational at home.
73s

SCPD

QRT
Matchmaker

Thanks to everyone who helped me built a 1/4 wave SO 239 connector ground plane and it came out great just gotta check SWR and I'll be operational at home.
73s

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the match by changing the angle of the radials.

jackj

Joeyvb, you can't adjust the match by changing the angle of the radials like Wyandotte says. You can adjust it by changing the length of the vertical or radiating element. The radials form the ground plane and will not have an effect on the match as long as one of them is at least 1/4 wavelength long. They will effect the angle of radiation. Bending them down will lower the angle more toward the horizon.

prcguy

Changing the angle of the radials will change the impedance slightly. Running them 90 deg to the vertical element will be slightly lower impedance than bending them down which will raise the impedance. However, you can trim the vertical element to get a perfect match either way.

A 1/4 wave whip over an infinite size perfectly conducting ground is supposed to have an impedance around 35 ohms. As you lessen the size of the ground plane from a huge copper sheet to say three 1/4 wavelength radials, the impedance will be higher than 35 ohms and closer to 50 ohms.

If you shorten the whip slightly the resonant frequency will go up but at the same time there will be slightly less capacitance between the whip and ground causing the impedance to go up a little. Lengthening the whip will create more capacitance between the whip and ground causing the impedance to go down, so adjusting the whip can make up for minor impedance mismatch in addition to changing the resonant frequency.
prcguy

Joeyvb, you can't adjust the match by changing the angle of the radials like Wyandotte says. You can adjust it by changing the length of the vertical or radiating element. The radials form the ground plane and will not have an effect on the match as long as one of them is at least 1/4 wavelength long. They will effect the angle of radiation. Bending them down will lower the angle more toward the horizon.

jackj

OK prcguy, my fault. When I said "adjust the match" what I was thinking was adjusting the resonant frequency. You could also move the feed point and change the impedance without changing the antenna's resonant frequency. I understood the conversation to be about trimming the antenna so that it would be resonant at the operating frequency, not adjusting the feed point impedance.

cmdrwill

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the match by changing the angle of the radials.

That IS correct.. If the radiating element, vertical rod, is cut to correct length adjusting the angle of the radials will change the antenna impedance.

For 146 mHz 20.23 inches,

19.22 inches with capacitive fringing which would be for an antenna mounted on a flat surface like a roof of a car.

dksac2

After you get your antenna done, do a search for a homemade collinear antenna. It will have a great deal more gain and distance over flat land than the 1/4 wave. They are made using RG-8X coax, wood dowels to hold the coax and a piece of PVC to put the antenna into. They cost next to nothing to make and will very much improve the distance, especially on simplex.

73's John

dksac2

john good idea but i am in a mountainous region with several repeater within 20 miles of me
73s

I have the same problem as to the mountains. I'm at 6500' and have mountains on 3 sides that range from 8000' to mountains with peaks of 14,500'. A good quarter wave works great. My vertical also works in my location and is handy for a repeater on a mountain over 100 miles away from the open end of the valley.
It's one I like as it's a part of the Intermountain Intertie that goes from Montanna to Arizona.

73's, John

Status
Not open for further replies.