Cushcraft r7000 match network

Status
Not open for further replies.

grndspt583

I was given a Cushcraft R7000 antenna in a box when my neighbors moved away. It was used by her father for a short time before he passed away and looks to be in almost new condition but the matching network was not in the box. Is there another MN or something that will work with this or do I just have a nice collection of aluminum tubing for future projects? I would like to get it operational as a tribute, he was one of Arthur Collins top technicians.

SCPD

QRT
Make some calls

I was given a Cushcraft R7000 antenna in a box when my neighbors moved away. It was used by her father for a short time before he passed away and looks to be in almost new condition but the matching network was not in the box. Is there another MN or something that will work with this or do I just have a nice collection of aluminum tubing for future projects? I would like to get it operational as a tribute, he was one of Arthur Collins top technicians.

I would start by calling some dealer like HRO 800-444-9476, or AES 800-558-0411 and see if the matching network for that antenna is still available.

prcguy

The matchbox on a Cushcraft R7000 or R7 is a special 4:1 balun to match the antenna feedpoint and a second 1:1 choke balun to isolate the antenna and remove RF from the feedline. You might be able to adapt off the shelf baluns but it would be a science experiment and you would need some test equipment to help figure it out. It would be much easier to buy a broken R7000 and use its matching box.
prcguy

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is the R7000 still in production or has it been discontinued? MFJ now owns the Cushcraft amateur antenna line. Is it possible that MFJ has parts for the R7000?

grndspt583

I received an email from MFJ that indicated the match network from the R8 may work. I will get further info when I call them tomorrow. There were a lot of disclaimers attached but that part may be a canned portion of a reply.

grndspt583

I talked to Tom Stone today at Cushcraft and confirmed the R8 Match Network is a direct replacement for the MN-7000. for the R7000 antenna. Thought I would post this as others might need one in the future.

N0IU

Maybe I will give Tom a call today. I have an R7 that I have had for almost 25 years. I would like to replace the matchbox, but of course the R7 is long since out of production. I actually am using a matchbox from an R5, but of course it does not play well on 30 and 40.

Other than that, it is the only piece of original equipment I have from the time I was first licensed. I do take it down every few years and polish the aluminum and inspect the traps. I have a lot of "eye candy" on the wall thanks to that antenna (plus a little bit of skill and luck on my part).

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.