Can a CB radio and an HF ham radio share the same remote antenna tuner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Greetings,
I have been wondering if a remotely located or antenna-mounted outdoor type antenna tuner such as those sold by SGC, MFJ, Icom and others can be used with a CB radio transceiver that puts out 4 watts AM and 12 watts SSB?
If so, how would this be set up? Some of those tuners need to be connected to a compatible like-brand HF transceiver I think in order to use the remote tuning feature. Others don't (I think).
I was even thinking of trying to connect both an HF ham radio transceiver plus a CB radio transceiver to the same remote tuner and antenna simultaneously and use a coax switch to switch back and forth between the two to share the same antenna with tuner. Would something like this work?
Thanks

prcguy

For SGC, LDG and MFJ generally yes. Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood an other brand specific tuners usually have a control cable to only work with their specific brand radios.

Most people use these these remote tuners on long wires, tall verticals or other antennas that favor the lower HF bands and that type antenna would not be very good for local CB coverage.
prcguy

Greetings,
I have been wondering if a remotely located or antenna-mounted outdoor type antenna tuner such as those sold by SGC, MFJ, Icom and others can be used with a CB radio transceiver that puts out 4 watts AM and 12 watts SSB?
If so, how would this be set up? Some of those tuners need to be connected to a compatible like-brand HF transceiver I think in order to use the remote tuning feature. Others don't (I think).
I was even thinking of trying to connect both an HF ham radio transceiver plus a CB radio transceiver to the same remote tuner and antenna simultaneously and use a coax switch to switch back and forth between the two to share the same antenna with tuner. Would something like this work?
Thanks

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
kc0bus,

The manufactures listed have operation/setup manual in pdf format for their tuners. This allows you to review, admittedly in a limited way, the hardware without a $$$ commitment.

Look to the low power ham radio (QRP) tuners as the CB rig falls in that category. For 100watt tuners the 4watt AM signal may not have the needed power to get a good match.

Mike

AC9BX

(assuming 27MHz CB)
Previous comments are all good.

There's *controlled* tuners, these use control signals from the radio and would not be suitable.
There's automatic tuners, these would work however, as stated, may require more power than a CB set could provide. 4 Watts carrier power might not be enough to produce sufficient SWR error to encourage the tuner to do it's thing.
There's manual tuners and as the name suggests these will do what you want. I would recommend a manual tuner because the CB band is rather narrow, only 440 kHz wide (channel centers) so a wide range automatic tuner would be a waste.
Frankly there's no need unless you really must use something that isn't a proper antenna like a rain gutter or such. A moderately large diameter conductor antenna should cover the band very well when trimmed properly for the middle. If your antenna doesn't cover the band well get a better antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.