Antenna switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
My idea is to maximize the usage of an external mount on my drivers side door so I can leave my cb antenna alone on the passenger side door. mounts from Wilson (the only mount I've found) ive got ideas on How to mount looking at those parts now. My question pertains to the antenna switch as my kenwood 732a has two antenna leads off it. Can I use the antenna switch as a switch between uhf and vhf line feeds to a single antenna ( going with a Larson 5/8 ) ? Before anyone says drill a whole and use nmo mounts on the roof this is a frieghtliner cascadia that 1 I do not own and 2 most of the body is fiberglass. I've had good luck with the mirror mounts on the CB band with a cobra 29 LCD cheap coax a good k40 mount with the cheaper antenna with my swr according to he meter 1:1 to 1.

My intended setup starting from the mirror is the Wilson mirror mount, k40 mount for the mirror mount, Larson antenna, coax (thinking rg8x still debating on that or something else[ not opposed to some help there]) Into an antenna switch ( if it is possible to do) into the kenwood tm732a.

Question one.... is can an antenna switch be used for one radio with two leads into one antenna?

Question two..... coax type for two meter/70 cm from switch (if possible to use that way)?

Number three......... am I wishful thinking on that setup for it being able to be taken out of a truck in less than a day?

And last question....... would I just be better off getting a 12v adapter for my ccr ( yes I know this debate is heated on type but that's what I have for now and it was given to me, free is free) an adapter from pl239 to sma. And a hand mic ( just to comply to the no handheld electronic device law that fines me nearly 3k if they catch me using a handheld device.

Chris
KN4LKW

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I_am_Alpha1

Don't use an antenna switch...use a diplexer. Some advertise them as duplexer. It will take your one dual band antenna and split it to UHF and VHF inputs. Make sure you buy the correct one as they make dozens with different frequencies and connectors. You are looking at $50-80 for one. MFJ may be the cheapest...as you are new to Ham, I'll let you know that MFJ is jokingly known as Mighty Fine Junk as they are cheap...I use a few of their products. Tram makes mirror mounts with NMO and PL...I've had no problems using mounts from them and the feedline is already installed.

Don't use an antenna switch...use a diplexer. Some advertise them as duplexer. It will take your one dual band antenna and split it to UHF and VHF inputs. Make sure you buy the correct one as they make dozens with different frequencies and connectors. You are looking at $50-80 for one. MFJ may be the cheapest...as you are new to Ham, I'll let you know that MFJ is jokingly known as Mighty Fine Junk as they are cheap...I use a few of their products. Tram makes mirror mounts with NMO and PL...I've had no problems using mounts from them and the feedline is already installed.
Thank you very much for the info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lmrtek

The diplexer is the way to go and you need to use a Larsen NMO270B
antenna since it is a 1\2 wave on 2 meters and 5\8 over 5\8 on 440,
it will work even without a good groundplane unlike a 5\8 wave or 1\4 wave design

Status
Not open for further replies.