RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas - For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Comet GP-6NC connector type mystery???

Hello again,
I just got my new Comet GP-6NC from the Antenna Farm, and it has a connector Iíve not seen before. Their site, and Cometís, say it has a female N connector, but this not like any N connector Iíve seen before (see pic). I ordered a regular male N connector on my coax, and the coax will attach securely to the antenna, but when I check with an ohm meter I can tell there is no connection between the center conductor and the antenna. Can anyone please tell me what type of connector this is? Pretty sure Iíll need to get an adapter, but after a ton of Googling Iím still at a loss as to what Iím dealing with here. The package the antenna came in says it has an N-J connector, but that tidbit hasnít been helpful. I gather that just means N ďJackĒ, which I think means female, but Iím not sure. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklehorse View Post
Hello again,
I just got my new Comet GP-6NC from the Antenna Farm, and it has a connector Iíve not seen before. Their site, and Cometís, say it has a female N connector, but this not like any N connector Iíve seen before (see pic). I ordered a regular male N connector on my coax, and the coax will attach securely to the antenna, but when I check with an ohm meter I can tell there is no connection between the center conductor and the antenna. Can anyone please tell me what type of connector this is? Pretty sure Iíll need to get an adapter, but after a ton of Googling Iím still at a loss as to what Iím dealing with here. The package the antenna came in says it has an N-J connector, but that tidbit hasnít been helpful. I gather that just means N ďJackĒ, which I think means female, but Iím not sure. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Someone damaged the center pin of that female N. My guess would be someone tried forcing a PL-259 onto it.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yup, exactly. I have seen same damage on radios where a female N connector is splayed out from a male PL259.

Don't try to fix it, as the leaves of the center connector will simply break off.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by RFI-EMI-GUY; 07-11-2018 at 1:00 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 7:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Send it back. I had the same thing happen to me. I contacted the antenna farm and they sent me a prepaid shipping label with the replacement antenna.
Old 07-11-2018, 7:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would make sure the connector on the pre-made coax was correct as well.