Looking for any Ham Mac software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels47130

Premium Subscriber
With ham being sort of a techno type thing, I'm surprised I can't find Mac software! It seems everything is in PC windows. Does anyone know of software for Mac? Please let me know.

KK4NPQ

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Software to do what precisely? As this is a data forum, I suspect you're looking for digital transmitting software.

Be more specific...Mike

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
My computer at my main operating position is a PC, but my laptop is a macbook pro. I dont operate portable much other than VHF/UHF, but I've found the same situation as far as amateur radio. Most of the Mac software I've seen is much higher priced, compaired to their Windows and Linux counterparts, for the same or less capabilities. Ive bought Hamlog and Koch Trainer, both from Pignology and have been happy with them, especially for the price.

Have you considered Boot Camp or virtualization to run other OSs? I have Windows 7 on my boot camp partition and can run that nativly if I want to, and I also have Windows 8 and Ubuntu running in VMWare Fusion. I also recently saw a amateur radio specific linux distro called Shackbox Air. I havent loaded it yet, but will soon.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
and don't forget Black Cat Software...again, precisely what are you trying to accomplish? As you are in the Data Transmissions forum, I'm going to assume you are looking for that kind of software. Please be specific! The more specific you are, the better the answers will be...Mike

khooke

Depends on what you're trying to do, but i've been running the following on my Mac:
- RUMLog - logging software
- FLDigi for all digi modes, other than JT65
- Wineskin created Wine wrapper for Windows version of JT65-HF for JT65 mode
- CocoaModem for use with RUMPed for digital mode contests

I tried using HRD on an HP Mini netbook running Win7 but it was too sluggish, so went back to using the above on my MacbookPro. These have all been working great for me so far.

Kevin KK6DCT

Status
Not open for further replies.