Radio Interference from WIFI Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kantronics KPC-3 attached to my Kenwood TM-241 for 2 meter packet work. I have LMR-400 running out to the tower to my J-Pole. When I power up my Netgear wireless router I get a ton of noise on the radio and I am not able to do packet ( b/c of all the noise my receive light won't ever turn off on the TNC )...... has anyone every experienced this?

I moved my wireless stuff out of the shack and into my living room about 10 feet away and I have zero interference.

Thanks and 73's

Matt / KD8OMT

jim202

I have a Kantronics KPC-3 attached to my Kenwood TM-241 for 2 meter packet work. I have LMR-400 running out to the tower to my J-Pole. When I power up my Netgear wireless router I get a ton of noise on the radio and I am not able to do packet ( b/c of all the noise my receive light won't ever turn off on the TNC )...... has anyone every experienced this?

I moved my wireless stuff out of the shack and into my living room about 10 feet away and I have zero interference.

Thanks and 73's

Matt / KD8OMT

Try unplugging all the CAT5 cables and see if you still have the problem. Many times it is the Ethernet cables that are doing the radiating. You might find just one that is the cause of your problems.

You might also try a different power supply feeding the wireless router. Sometimes the wall wart units are a noise generator.

You can try some clip on ferrite cores on the CAT5 cables to see if they help curtail the noise.

SCPD

QRT
When I power up my Netgear wireless router I get a ton of noise.

Welcome to the world of cheap electronics. NETGEAR (especially their older stuff) is notoriously cheap in their designs. Lack of internal shielding, etc.

If it's an older model then I would not be surprised. If it's a newer model then don't be afraid to call their tech support and complain. Perhaps you'll get a new router of it.

The obvious solution is the one you found, so it sounds like you're good now. Yes, a higher-cost model may also be a solution.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
i unplugged all cables and still had the problems, changed the wall wart and still had problems...... moved out of the room all together and the problem went away. I took the antenna off my HT and walked near the shelf that holds my router and cable modem now ( in my living room ) and the HT lights up full scale of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.