New to APRS, need some suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading up on APRS for a while now and want to do some experimenting before I dive right in. Is it possible to use a laptop with a USB GPS receiver to handle messaging and location reporting? Obviously I'd still need a TNC connected to a radio.

I've already got a laptop, spare radio, and a USB GPS receiver, I'd just need a TNC. I figured if I start off with stuff I already have I can get my feet wet before I start purchasing additional gear.

So is there a way to connect a laptop to a TNC and the TNC to a radio so that I can use the laptop for both position reporting and text messaging? What TNC would I use?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
With this type setup just about any TNC will do. But, you could use the soundcard and eliminate the TNC all together..

Do a google search for soundcard packet and you'll find all the how to's you need.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've been reading up on APRS for a while now and want to do some experimenting before I dive right in. Is it possible to use a laptop with a USB GPS receiver to handle messaging and location reporting? Obviously I'd still need a TNC connected to a radio.

I've already got a laptop, spare radio, and a USB GPS receiver, I'd just need a TNC. I figured if I start off with stuff I already have I can get my feet wet before I start purchasing additional gear.

So is there a way to connect a laptop to a TNC and the TNC to a radio so that I can use the laptop for both position reporting and text messaging? What TNC would I use?

Get a OT3m from argent data. Purpose built device for APRS.

www.argentdata.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I wound up going for a totally different solution and scrapped the idea of using the laptop and GPS receiver since I wanted something a little more portable.

Instead I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Centura from Walmart for $30. It's an Android phone with full GPS support. I then downloaded APRSdroid. Preliminary tests using VOX and a 3.5mm male cable between the phone and the radio are promising. I'd like to try building a duplex cable for it and at some point I'll probably pick up a Mobilinkd bluetooth TNC since it doesn't rely on VOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.