Getting APRS to work on Yaesu FT1DR with DCARA.net in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this pretty nifty HT and I set GPS, set the B VFO to the APRS tracker and I can see the main and WX repeaters for Denton County, TX but I can't seem to see my own APRS data as I travel or anywhere for that matter.

What I am doing wrong here and any suggestions anyone has would certainly be helpful. Also, as a side topic (not trying to go off thread here), can I use the RMS gateways with a stereo patch cable into a Yaesu VX-5R with Winlink? I have never used it before but I am getting acquainted with all the good stuff and hope to start doing some QRP when I can pick up a rig for PSK31 and other methods.

I have no clue why the FT1DR doesn't report me on aprs.fi or any of those sites. I'm already tracked working with cyber security as a sysadmin anyway. Now to just find a C4FM digital repeater up here for everyone to get onboard with. It works wonders on mobile vs DSTAR.

Brian KG5BDB

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this pretty nifty HT and I set GPS, set the B VFO to the APRS tracker and I can see the main and WX repeaters for Denton County, TX but I can't seem to see my own APRS data as I travel or anywhere for that matter.

What I am doing wrong here and any suggestions anyone has would certainly be helpful. Also, as a side topic (not trying to go off thread here), can I use the RMS gateways with a stereo patch cable into a Yaesu VX-5R with Winlink? I have never used it before but I am getting acquainted with all the good stuff and hope to start doing some QRP when I can pick up a rig for PSK31 and other methods.

I have no clue why the FT1DR doesn't report me on aprs.fi or any of those sites. I'm already tracked working with cyber security as a sysadmin anyway. Now to just find a C4FM digital repeater up here for everyone to get onboard with. It works wonders on mobile vs DSTAR.

Brian KG5BDB
Are you close to either a digipeater or internet gateway? Do you have your path set correctly?

tateconcepts

K5CDR
This is what I have

Digital

Freq. Input My Alias Call Site Use Status
144.910 144.910 DCARA W5NGU-4 TWU Stark Hall Packet Digipeater ▲Online
145.010 145.010 W5NGU-7 Presby Hospital Packet Digipeater ▲Online
145.010 145.010 DRMC W5NGU-8 DRMC Hospital Packet Digipeater ▼Offline
144.970 144.970 W5NGU-9 Baylor Hospital Packet Digipeater ▼Offline
144.990 144.990 RSSTN KC5GOI Rosston Tower Packet Digipeater ▲Online
145.010 145.010 CDEOC KE5MQQ Denton City EOC ▲Online
144.970 144.970 LWSVL KE5PHX-1 Lewisville Hospital Packet Digipeater ▼Offline
144.390 144.390 W5NGU-3 TWU Stark Hall APRS Digipeater (igate) ▲Online
144.34 144.34 W5NGU-6 TWU Stark Hall APRS Digipeater (igate) ▲Online
144.390 144.390 W5NGU-4 Rosston Tower APRS Digipeater (igate) ▲Online
144.34 144.34 W5NGU-7 Rosston Tower APRS Digipeater (igate) ▲Online
144.390 144.390 W5NGU-12 eCOMM-701 APRS Tracker ▲Online

I have VFO B set to the tracker with GPS turned on. I am beginning to wonder if it's my stock OEM antenna. I can barely hear 2m from there but supposedly I can transmit fine at 2.5w - go figure. Any other thoughts? Have I missed a setting here? I can see W5NGU and the WX but that's it. I can also get data from them via APRS messages.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Ok,

So some of the DCARA guys gave me an update if any of you come across this, I hope it helps you out. First and foremost - make sure your baud rate is on 1200kbps. It will not work on 9600kbps. Also, make sure you have the digipath set to Wide1 and Wide2, not just Wide1 or any specific one later. So far, I can get alerts from just about everyone, but I haven't yet figured out why GPS is giving me a tough time with APRS but if I find an update - I will post it here for those who are just getting acquainted with this awesome HT.

I love this thing so much over my VX-5R (except it was fully waterproof) I could adopt it as my next child...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The APRS paths you quoted are not correct.

It should be "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1".

wolfiekd8trg

i have mine set up with the wide1-1 wide2-1 and my radio is picking up other beacons but when i look at aprs.fi i dont see my beacon at all. could it be the antenna? or something else

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Just as a general comment an HT with 5w or less has a difficult time being heard by an Digipeater/iGate so that your beacon will go into the database to be seen on the internet. You also have to configure the HT to beacon and depending on radio it has various modes your can select. PTT, Time and SmartBeaconing.

If you are in a position to be heard then your repeated beacon should be heard by your HT and usually there is some indication of that. On my Kenwood D710 I will see "MY STATION" in the top of the display.

i have mine set up with the wide1-1 wide2-1 and my radio is picking up other beacons but when i look at aprs.fi i dont see my beacon at all. could it be the antenna? or something else

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.