Just need a little help with APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
I finally got my IGATE hooked up and set up. I am not 100% sure that it is forwarding what it hears to the internet. Would someone be willing to look it up and see if it appears to be functioning correctly? I can see it on aprs.fi but I am still a little confused as to how to double check that it is working properly. The is KG4ERE.

Thanks
AW

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Look at the Graphs display at aprs.fi. The third graph says that you've iGated four packets.

Station statistics for KG4ERE

That said, it looks like N5AAA-1 is doing most of the iGating in your area. Given the proximity of N5AAA-1 and K7DCC, do you really think your iGate is necessary?

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, still trying to get a good feel for all the APRS stuff. As for if my Igate is necessary, probably not. However I had the extra components laying around and wanted to experiment. I figure it may not be necessary but it is not going to hurt anything either.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Generally, an additional iGate in a particular area won't hurt. Just understand that the APRS-IS software will only keep the first iGated packet that enters the data stream. All other iGated packets that enter the stream will be rejected (with a few exceptions). If a station beacons on RF and another iGate hears the beacon and injects it into the APRS-IS before your iGate, it will appear as if your iGate isn't doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.