What do I need [for digital modes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Ok ive looked online and such and only being a tech im limited. I want to do digital modes, cw, rtty, sstv on 2,6,10 meter and 70 cm. I have a th-9000, 9800 ,uvr. Anyone know how I can do this with the equipment on hand? Google search just gets me sites where they say they did it but not how. Someone suggested ham radio deluxe.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
My suggestion would be fldigi (W1HKJ Software) for digital mode software. Then do some Googling for NBEMS and focus on results that talk about using NBEMS over VHF/UHF.

As for hardware, you don't need anything other than a computer with a sound card to start out with fldigi. You can use audio coupling between your radio speaker and sound card microphone for receiving digital and between your sound card speakers and your radio's microphone for transmitting. You can key your radio manually when you want to transmit. (A speaker/mic is handy for this.)

Ham Radio Deluxe is a full suite of amateur radio programs with an emphasis on rig control and logging. One of it's components is DM780 for digital modes, but it's not as versatile as fldigi.

k8krh

I would also use FLDIGI, it is free. For SSTV download mmsstv I think it is called it is free also. For a outboard soundcard get a SIGNAL LINK, they come with all the cables. Therefore you have 2 free programs and for a mere $87 a tnc so you can use other modes.
DOCTOR/795

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Trying to figure out what radios you have (Two TYT/Tytera and one Baofeng? Or is there a Yaesu in there somewhere?).... but if you are using a Mac as the computer for FLDIGI you'll need the Signalink by Tigertronics (or equivalent) because the Mac has no sound card, and your radios (I think) do not have a built-in soundcard accessible via USB. Some radios (e.g. the Icom 7100) do not need a Signalink or any external soundcard / USB modem, since that capability is built into the radio. All that's required in that case is a USB cable between your radio and the computer that runs FLDIGI.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions I will look into them. I thought the ham radio deluxe would be easier but according to them it may not work with my transceivers. I'm studying for general so that will open up more bands for me. I was told that the only people around my area who use these modes are the RACES/ARES folks and they only use it once a month so there wouldn't be anyone on for me to connect with.

skamran

Easy Digi USB

You should also take a look at Easy Digi (Easy Digi: Parts & Accessories | eBay). These are made by Clifford Wareham in Texas and are much cheaper than the SignaLink units. He can even customize the units for the type of your HT.

I just bought one this week and am using it with fldigi on a Mac with a Baofeng UV82.

Kamran

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I'll have to contact him and see if Easy Digi will work with my radios.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I know the tyt models are chinese clones. What is the th-9000 and 9800 clones of?

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I couldnt find it online. Again thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Im going to check all of them out this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.