JT65/JT9

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
After more than 50 years in ham radio doing mostly CW and some SSB/FM, I have finally decided to give JT65 and JT9 a try. It turned out to be a bit of an ordeal to set it up. I first read everything I could get my hands on and then decided to buy a new IC-7300 with a built in sound card to make things less complicated. After some evaluating, I opted to go with the WSJT-X free software and got everything configured.

Problem was my computer...it kept crashing when I tried to actually use the software and the radio. My sole Windows machine seemed unable to handle the task. I picked up a new Windows 10 machine, plugged it in, and it worked perfectly.

This has turned out to be an expensive project but I have a new transceiver and computer after many years of using the same stuff. I must admit I am having a great time with it.

Now, perhaps, on to PSK?

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
If you are already up and running (and making contacts) using the various modes available in WSJT-X, you will incur virtually NO expense in getting active on other digital modes.

I suggest getting 'fldigi' and the associated accessory programs. PSK is in there along with almost every other digital mode that hams use. Fldigi is free.

You can spend a long time experimenting with digital modes within just that one application.

Have fun and welcome to the digital ham radio world.

N2AL

I have always enjoyed PSK followed by RTTY. Here is a question though, what software runs JT65? If it is accessible via fldigi I have yet to figure it out.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
I have always enjoyed PSK followed by RTTY. Here is a question though, what software runs JT65? If it is accessible via fldigi I have yet to figure it out.

I use WSJT-X software, by K1JT, for both JT65, and JT9, as well as WSPR-2 mode. I also dabble with JT65-HF by HB9HQX, which has all kinds of cool capabilities. I would recommend trying WSJT-X first, and once you figure out the protocols, then go try JT65-HF.

WSJT Home Page

http://jt65-hf.sourceforge.net/

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've tried to install WSJT-X but never had the patience to get it running.

I'm mostly a PSK fan.. It's pretty straight forward and very efficient. I use the last free version of Ham Radio Deluxe. I sometimes go after RTTY DX, but I use the built in transmit/receive capability of my IC-7600.

I also dabble with analog and digital SSTV. I use MMSTV for analog and EasyPal for digital.

osros

Feed Provider
Im finding JT65 interesting so far just receiving but getting signals much further that anything else so far, yes its slow but short and sweet make those QSOs you may not get other wise. Nice mode if you just want to kick back and chill a bit and still do some QSO without needing too much attention.

bsmotril

The new 1.7 release of WSJT-X is really a huge improvement with it's ability to decode both low level signals and signals on the same sub-band, or overlapping signals. It amazes me every day with what it seems to decode even with strong stations right on top of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.