Kenwood TMV-71A vs Yaesu FT-8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Looking for a dual-bander with cross-repeat. So those two models come up... can anybody chime in on advice on which one to get? Looking for existence of 'mods' as well, which, well, I can only find for the Yaesu.

mrweather

The one advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu in terms of cross-band repeat is the ability to actually control the radio remotely using DTMF. Thank goodness Kenwood carried that over from the previous generation TM-V7A.

I think beyond that it more or less comes down to personal preference, i.e. if you're already a Kenwood owner or a Yaesu owner.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Great. Kinda like Canon vs Nikon. :p

Can anybody else chime in about... say, intermod, usability, etc.?

Eddie66

I own both Radio's and they are both good Radios, The 71A gives me the option to run EchoLink with the built in Interface, This Radio at Least once a week is hooked on the EchoLink for a steady hour and doesn't heat up at all. This radio has been designed well. Thus reason why I got a second one. The cross band repeat is very easy to operate. I would suggest the Kenwood.

VA3EDE

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
there is another advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu. The 71A can become a D710A just by buying the RC710 aprs head.

Bill_White

The one advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu in terms of cross-band repeat is the ability to actually control the radio remotely using DTMF.

there is another advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu. The 71A can become a D710A just by buying the RC710 aprs head.

AND
The Kenwood has a repeater, CW or voice, ID feature.
Which transmits the ID on both input and output frequencies making it legal...;)

KD8CPI

I have the 8800 and use cross xrpt for my HT around the yard/house. It works well but on a few occasions it has froze on me and needed power cycle to fix it. IMO If you can afford the kenwood, BY all means buy the kenwood. You will not be sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.