Icom: Icom IC-7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just wondering if anyone has an Icom IC-7200 and what their thoughts of it are ?

I am thinking about buying one .. but want to get some feedback first.

Thanks

Bill_White

IC-7200 reviews at eham.net:
ICOM IC-7200 Product Reviews

I don’t have the 7200 but…
I was going to suggest spending another $100 and getting the IC-746 PRO. I went to copy the link to paste here
and see the $200 promotion has expired. These were just on sale at Gigaparts.com for $1150. They are still on sale,
$300 Icom coupon, for $1350 and you get a free PS-125 power supply. If you already have a power supply, sell the
PS-125 and knock another $200 off the price.
This rig has been around a while now and all the problems you will read about were on early production models and
“should” have been fixed at Icom by now.
I have had my 746, non pro, for 9 years now and have not had a single problem with it.
Icom IC-746 Pro Amateur Transceiver IC746 pro

SCPD

QRT
Thanks .. I will see what I can do. I live in Canada so I am looking at probably 40% more than the prices in the US.

NOTE .. I just looked and I am looking at 1250$ for the 7200 and 1750$ for the 746Pro. So 500$ difference.

We up here just don' t ever seem to get any deals. *sigh*

Last edited:

W5WDV

7200 is an outstanding radio in it's class. I've owned one for 11 months... continued to be amazed at how good the receiver section is. I also have a IC-756 Pro III and while I enjoy it's performance, I seem to like using the 7200 a little more. If you are looking for HF-6 meters only, the 7200 is a great starter. For those involved in portable/ecomm use, it fits the bill perfectly! Is built like a tank and the looks are as good as the performance! Saturday last, made contacts in 22 states and 4 countries in 1.5 hours all running 100 watts and a G5RV set as an inverted-V with the apex at 13'. I was running portable at the ranch and had a little down time allowing me to get on the air. Bottom line.... get one you won't regret it! Cheers, Bill W5WDV

wqtz773

I am the proud owner of one of these beasties. I really like it and suggest that if you do get it in operation, that you get a good automatic antenna tuner for it. The filters in that radio are amazing for what they are. I believe, ( I may be wrong) taht it also type accepted for Maritime Mobile use also.I was told that there is software---different from Amateur Radio software for that radio by one of the local tech companies here in Dayton.
Single signal CW is easily acquired with this radio. It has everything from from CW to SSB, but no FM. That is the only drawback to this radio. It is stable as a rock. It covers, 160 through 6 meters and includes all of the WARC bands. IF you are a MARS member, you can get it modified by software to operate on the MARS channels also. Great little SW listening radio also. Enjoy it as I do. 73 de John WA8LGM

A side thought: take a look at one of the aftermarket microphones that are available for the radio. The only other stinker in this is that the microphone (for the one I bought) is a little cheap, but it works all right, though.

Last edited:

wb6uqa

Icom 7200

The 7200 is not a marine radio. Icom has no marine radios now. The FCC outlawed the Icom 802, no longer manufactured . Icom is asking the Fcc for a 3 year waver so they can design and build a new type marine radio. The fcc is taking comments now.

prcguy

The Icom 7200 is also old news and old technology being introduced in 2007. For a little more $$ the newer 7300 has many more features and much higher performance. There are also side panels with handles for the 7300 available from EU and there will soon be some from the US mfr that makes them for the Elecraft gear.
prcguy

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One downside to the 7200 is that it won't do FM on the 10m and 6m bands where it is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.