Kenwood TM-V71 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

Anyone have a TM-V71 and done the modification? Ive read you cut a green wire but does this work or is this how?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is vague and poorly worded (what green wire? what are you trying to accomplish with this mod?) , however...the single best place to find this kind of information is the TM-V71 Yahoo group...73 Mike

N5JMC

ka3jjz..........Vague and poorly worded?????? Im sorry I didnt word it to your standards.....if the post wasnt up to your standards, you shouldnt have replied to it. As far as what green wire, I dont know, ive only read that you can cut a green wire. If I knew which green wire, I would have mentioned it. Since I dont know, thats why I'm posting to see if anyone else has done it so I can find out which green wire....so how is that poorly worded?????? You ask what I'm trying to accomplish???? I guess the same that anyone else that wants to mod their radio is trying to accomplish, to simply mod their radio.....

I see your an admin, so I dont understand why you would even be one of the users that try and criticize other users posts........ So now I guess maybe you're going to lock my thread now just cause of how you are???? Well then again maybe you dont have that much authority yet, cause your not a moderator yet now are you????

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anyone have a TM-V71 and done the modification? Ive read you cut a green wire but does this work or is this how?

Well I'm NOT an admin. But you could add a little more info on what you're trying to "hear" with your V71 that it won't receive out of the box?
I could help you with this,but extended transmit isn't happening...unless you have mars/cap cert. :wink: But be nice in your reply, I'm not the radio police.lol!
n9zas

Last edited:

N1BHH

With research by using your favorite search engine, and a little bit of time, you might be able to find the information you seek. Is the modification you seek an out of band type? If you have a MARS or CAP certification, you must check to be sure the radio meets the proper standard of operation. If the radio does not meet specification, it will not be allowed by either organization. It will also not be type accepted for whatever use you intend to utilize it for, if you intend to transmit..

No amateur VHF radio is "approved" for CAP use anymore; all CAP radios are required to be NTIA compliant and operate narrowband FM and P25.

N1BHH

From the Civil Air Patrol: Radios meeting the "Narrowband Pre 1/06", but failing to meet or not having been tested to the "Narrowband Post 1/06" standards may continue to be used until the end of their life cycle, if acquired or placed in service prior to Jan 2006 (Ref: 47 CFR 300 5.3.5.2, Effective Dates). Radios amy still be used if they comply with the requirements.
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_equipment.cfm?type=anb
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_equipment.cfm?type=awb

RadioDaze

..so how is that poorly worded?????? You ask what I'm trying to accomplish???? I guess the same that anyone else that wants to mod their radio is trying to accomplish, to simply mod their radio.....

I see your an admin, so I dont understand why you would even be one of the users that try and criticize other users posts........ So now I guess maybe you're going to lock my thread now just cause of how you are???? Well then again maybe you dont have that much authority yet, cause your not a moderator yet now are you??

Based on the information provided in the original post, my suggestion would be to cut most or all of the wires. This is guaranteed to "mod" the radio, and would be an excellent preventative measure.

From the Civil Air Patrol: Radios meeting the "Narrowband Pre 1/06", but failing to meet or not having been tested to the "Narrowband Post 1/06" standards may continue to be used until the end of their life cycle, if acquired or placed in service prior to Jan 2006 (Ref: 47 CFR 300 5.3.5.2, Effective Dates). Radios amy still be used if they comply with the requirements.
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_equipment.cfm?type=anb
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_equipment.cfm?type=awb

Effective January 1 2010 all wideband FM operation ceased and all WBFM repeaters were trned down, since then NBFM/P25 repeaters have been installed; currently there is close to 500 repeaters on the air throughout the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.