Yaesu FT50 "On-Off" button

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My FT50 is about 10 years old, you have to press the orange on-off about 10 times before it will come on...Has anyone removed the orange rubber on-off and maybe cleaned something behind it and then re-attached it...Thank You

Duster40

I had the same problem on an FT-10...the 2 mtr version.
Fought it for about a year. Finally got into the KB printed
circuit board, & cleaned it, & the contact pads on the key
buttons. Didn't solve the problem. Finally gave up.
Loved that little radio...

K

kb0nly

The FT-50 has a known issue with its power button. You can take it apart and clean it but thats only the first step, the next step is a new keypad membrane or a membrane switch repair kit which you use to repair the contact on the back of the button so it once again works. The coating on the back of the rubber power button wears off and then it quits working, or you have to push it hard and wiggle it around to make it work. Just like a worn out tv remote control, been there before also, usually the volume or channel buttons wear out from use.

There is companies that make a membrane repair kit, its generally a paint pen type setup, you clean the rubber button off, apply the new coating, let it dry, clean the circuit board contact area and then re-assemble. It will work as long as the coating lasts and you will be repairing it again. Nice thing is though the repair coating usually lasts for years and years of use.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
For a worn out membrane switch, the best course is replacement. Second is the reconditioning paint.

Now you can call me a hack, but I have gotten switches working again by gluing a piece of metal foil to the membrane nubbin'. I use the mylar layered foil from shielded comm cable as it seems to be the most durable. Cut out a small dot and dab on some contact cement. Have gotten some junker radios back on the road this way...

K

kb0nly

For a worn out membrane switch, the best course is replacement. Second is the reconditioning paint.

Now you can call me a hack, but I have gotten switches working again by gluing a piece of metal foil to the membrane nubbin'. I use the mylar layered foil from shielded comm cable as it seems to be the most durable. Cut out a small dot and dab on some contact cement. Have gotten some junker radios back on the road this way...

Done that also myself! It does work.

Problem is the FT50R is probably old enough he doesnt have the new replacement option anymore. Wouldn't hurt to call Yaesu Parts and get the hard facts on it. I call them all the time for misc parts for Vertex and Yaesu radios.

Tesla70

Premium Subscriber
Ft-50

Have an old FT-50...Also have FNB-41...and FNB-40...Battery Packs....The front panel is in good condition and all buttons are intact...The Radio has some problem...It turns on and off "Intermittent"...The batteries were all charging well last time i used...did have them repacked some few years ago...You can have this Radio and Batteries "No Charge"....E-Mail me your Address to vk2upr@dodo.com.au

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I received the part from Yaesu, its the PTT button and the two rubber ones below it in a line...Wonder if you have to take the radio metal back off to slide it in??...Not sure how you get the back off or do you just cut the rubber to make just the PTT part fit??...Thanks....

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The FT-50 has a known issue with its power button. You can take it apart and clean it but thats only the first step, the next step is a new keypad membrane or a membrane switch repair kit which you use to repair the contact on the back of the button so it once again works. The coating on the back of the rubber power button wears off and then it quits working, or you have to push it hard and wiggle it around to make it work. Just like a worn out tv remote control, been there before also, usually the volume or channel buttons wear out from use.

There is companies that make a membrane repair kit, its generally a paint pen type setup, you clean the rubber button off, apply the new coating, let it dry, clean the circuit board contact area and then re-assemble. It will work as long as the coating lasts and you will be repairing it again. Nice thing is though the repair coating usually lasts for years and years of use.

This fix also will work on the power switch on the vx5r as well. ;)

n9zas

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Wonder if you have to take the radio metal back off to slide it in?
I'm doing this from memory as it's been several years since I've had an FT-50 apart.

1. Remove the battery pack.

2. Remove the antenna.

3. Remove the knobs (both of them).

4. On the back of the radio, you'll see a label near the pins that connect to the battery. With a sharp knife, peel off that label.

5. Under the label are two screws. Back them out about 5 turns, but don't completely remove them.

6. Push on the screw heads to pop loose the keyboard from the front of the radio. Remove the screws. Remove the keyboard.

7. Push lightly on the front of the radio's guts, like where the keyboard plugs in, and the whole guts of the radio should come out of the case.

8. Replace the buttons.

9. Reassemble the radio. Be careful to make sure the O-rings and seals line up.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I would like to formally thank "W9RXR" who gave me the instructions to install the new "PTT button on my FT50, if you had not told me to push out the "key pad" with the screws i would have been here all day trying to get it off...Once off i pryed out the "guts', and removed the two small rubber buttons and installed the three in one set =PTT,Lite,Squelch rubber gromets , put it back together and for $1.72 and $2.00 shipping =What a deal, works like a charm....Thank You

scannrman

Sorry, I know this thread is 5 months old, but I signed up just to post in this thread.

I also have an FT-50 which had a power button that took multiple presses to turn on the HT. Now it won't go on at all. I contacted Yaesu USA 2 years ago and they told me that the FT50 was no longer supported and they had zero replacement power buttons that I could buy. (See below)

So my question for the folks in this thread (RoninJuliet, others) is: where did you get a replacement FT-50 power button?! Did you use one from another radio (VX5R)?

-----
Tim Factor <t.factor@vxstdusa.com> Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I'm sorry but that part is no longer available from Yaesu.

Tim Factor, KT7F
Amateur Radio Technical Support

Vertex Standard USA, Inc.
Yaesu Amateur Products Division
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630
t.factor@vxstdusa.com

714-827-7600 x 1513

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 7:28 AM
To: Tim Factor
Subject: FW: Inquiry: General Questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Web site inquiry [mailto:VS_Message@vertexstandard.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 4:21 PM
To: Scott Dolliver
Subject: Inquiry: General Questions

The following inquiry was made from Welcome to Yaesu.com on 4-24-11 at 4:20pm:

Type: General Questions

Hello!
I need a replacement rubber power button for a Yaesu FT-50. Can you tell me the part number, price, and how to order?
thanks.

scannrman

Woops I guess it was a year ago. I think I had called them 2 years ago and they told me they were sold out.

I emailed them again last week and they told me again they had no FT50 power buttons and they did not know of any other models that would fit.

Both times I got the feeling that they didn't really know what I was talking about though.
Tim Factor (in the above email) offered to send me an exploded view of the ft50 so I could open it up (I was planning to do the conductive button repair paint). I had to remind him to send it and when it came, the diagram was not for an FT-50...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ya know what? I seem to remember someone on the ehams tech forum mentioning a similar issue. Might be worth a look to see if they had any luck finding a source.
Just a thought.

n9zas

scannrman

I didn't see it over on eHam. Do you have a link?

How many posts do I have to make before I can PM a user? :-D

scannrman

Can anyone confirm if the VX-1R or other Yaesu radio has an equivalent power button that will fit (I don't care if it's orange)? I was able to disassemble the radio using the instructions given here and clean the contact and the button, but it might go bad again. It already takes 2-3 presses to turn the radio on or off.
Thanks

Coniac

I had the same issue..

I decided to take the power button off took a small piece of aluminum foil and some super glue.

Glued the foil to the back of the button and wala it worked great!

mikepdx

I had this same FT-50 problem and "fixed" it
with the superglue button repair.

That fix didn't last too long.
Don't depend on the fix for your life.

Vertex commercial made basically the same radio,
but monoband. The VX-10:
Vertex Standard VX-10 Portable Two-Way Radio Information

The VX-10's had the same button issue.

Last year, I bought the last of of the identical buttons that
a Vertex Commercial Dealer had left.
p/n R3521630A