RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 2:13 PM

Default Kenwood TM-D710A DCS Programming question, Please help

I just recently purchased a Kenwood TM-D710A from my buddy and i am VERY happy with it! I love this radio but our repeater uses a 025-DCS to access and 205-DCS recieve and my problem is that i can't figure out how to get it to encode ONLY DCS... My FT-60 has a feature on it called split and it works wonderful for seperate TX/RX tone on the repeater. is there a Modification i can perform or just some buttons i can press to get it to work? Thanks in advance and 73! -
Cody
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2011, 1:50 AM

Exclamation

Bump... Anyone, Anywhere? Please!
Old 03-27-2011, 3:45 PM

I'm not entirely sure but this may be something that can only be set by using the programming software, which is free to download from Kenwood.

There is a D710 Yahoo Group that you may want to consider joining. Lots of knowledgable members there.
Old 03-27-2011, 4:40 PM

I can't speak for the kenwood series but the icom 208H & 800H have the same
problem and the programing software is of no help as there does not seem to
be a solution from icom(i called them). Its a limitation of the radio firmware and
programing software.

Japan strikes again, lol
Old 03-27-2011, 5:01 PM

I own one of these radios, and I too love it. I have a nifty manual and other resources that can help you look in.

I will look and be back later with an update.

PS. I am in the kenwood yahoo groups and its only marginally active.

----

OK, I am back now...first off...we don't use DCS down here where I am at so I don't know 100% what you are trying to do....I don't know what you have done so far...

First, go to VFO mode by pressing the VFO button on the left (2nd button), tune into your correct frequency. Still in VFO mode, press the tone button (3rd button from the left) 3 times. It should read DCS at this point on your screen.

Press Function [F] button, then [T Sel]. You then tune to the tone you want and go from there.

Last edited by alamo5000; 03-27-2011 at 5:27 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2011, 5:11 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There aren't any DCS repeaters in my area, so I don't know the tricks for making that encoding work.

As for Yahoo Groups, make sure you join all of the TM-D710 related groups. There is more than one.

The most active one, I think, is TM-D710_TM-V71 : KENWOOD TM-D710 and TM-V71 224 messages this month so far.
Old 03-27-2011, 9:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Not looking good :-(

Cody,

I have a 710 and RT Systems to program it, but none of the repeaters in the area use DCS.

So...

If I needed that split DCS function I went looking in the manual and the programing software.

There is a split mode but used for non-standard repeater pairs. I don't see anything using that type of split mode that would help, but I might have missed something.

There is a TONE and TONE SQL mode (CTCSS) to select if you want to use the tone to turn the repeater on with opening the squelch on your receiver or not. I didn't see any way to split or use a different tone for repeater on and receiver squelch open.

For DCS it looks even worse. If you select DCS mode there is no DCS SQL so whatever you select to transmit you are stuck with using on receive.

At least with tone modes you can set your receiver to ignore CTCSS by using TONE and not TONE SQL. It looks like when you select DCS what you use for transmit will be what the receiver will use to open the squelch.

I have not seen any mods that could change this on the 710, but on the other hand I have not looked because I don't need that type of split operation.

What radios are others using? Overall I don't think it looks good for using a 710 to access a DCS 025/205 split repeater.

Mike, KE5VYU

PS - Before I posted I had a thought. Set the A side to transmit using 025 and the B side to receive on 205. Might work, but seems a waste of a dual band radio to have to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynosbig View Post
I just recently purchased a Kenwood TM-D710A from my buddy and i am VERY happy with it! I love this radio but our repeater uses a 025-DCS to access and 205-DCS recieve and my problem is that i can't figure out how to get it to encode ONLY DCS... My FT-60 has a feature on it called split and it works wonderful for seperate TX/RX tone on the repeater. is there a Modification i can perform or just some buttons i can press to get it to work? Thanks in advance and 73! -
Cody

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Tags
dcs, kenwood, program, programming, split