RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 7:56 AM

For a good, solid rig, I second the Yaesu 7800 and its kid brother the 7900. The price is as good as it gets and, while the thing does not play Mozart in stereo, there are plenty of good basic things t that this rig performs. When some purists traded up to the 7900, there are a goodly number of used but not abused 7800's out there. You won't notice the difference.
Other data that nobody cares about.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2011, 8:08 AM

I have to agree with you about the '7800, it will do exactly what's claimed for it (depends on the claim, right?). I didn't keep the one I had, I traded for a different brand, just didn't 'like' the way Yaesu did things. All things considered though, there's nothing wrong with them, just a matter of personal preference. Bunch of good 'used' radios around! The 'trick' is finding one that suits you.
Paul
Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Since the Kenwood TM-V71 and Yaesu FT-7900 keep coming up in this conversation, let me point out a big difference between the two. The TM-V71 is a true dual-band radio and will receive two frequencies simultaneously. The FT-7900 will not. The closest equivalent to the TM-V71 in the Yaesu line is the FT-8800. The FT-8800 has been on the market since about 2003.

As for Kenwood's quality issues, the TM-V71 and TM-D710 (which use the same RF deck) did have a known problem with a lack of protection for the filter circuits. Supposedly, this has been addressed in later production runs. The actual percentage of radios that have lost receive sensitivity due to this problem is very small. FWIW, I own two TM-D710s and a TM-V71 none of which have had the problem. Yes, I'm a Kenwood guy (back to that Ford vs. Chevy debate). I have owned a very long list of Kenwood mobiles dating back to a TM-241 that I purchased 20 years ago. I have been generally satisfied with Kenwood's performance and reliability. On the other side of the coin, I know people locally who have various Yaesu FT-7800, 7900, 8800, and 8900 radios that have been trouble-free.

The OP's decision to wait until he can visit a ham store to try out various radios is a good one. Reading specs and reviews will only tell you part of the story. Getting your hands on a radio to see how you adapt to it will be very beneficial to your decision-making.

You can download a handy comparison chart for many types of amateur radio gear from:

http://aesham.com/PDF_cat/pages042-044.pdf

Last edited by W9RXR; 04-19-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking Regarding best dual band transceiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks40 View Post
Hello. I'm looking for everyones opinions, pros and cons of dual band (2m/70cm) 50 watt mobile transceivers. I'm getting ready to buy, and i've found both good and bad reviews, so i'm looking for your opinions and personal experiences with Kenwood, Icom, Alinco, and Yaesu mobiles. Thanks for your time.
The Chinese radios are fine. BTech tri band mobile is super for what it is. Bought Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom,etc.. the main difference between QYT 8900D and 350 buck flagship radios (3 listed) is about 200 dollars. If you want to get on the air and enjoy rapping and listening, consider spending less on rig and take extra cash and invest it in a quality antenna. Seems senseless to have the most revered radio and add on accoutrements and then be pinched to purchase the antenna that would do any radio justice. Like buying first rateHIFi system and using PC speakers that handle 10 watts. Don't always get what you pay for. Bells and whistles blended with talking about the radio more than talking and listening to the radio is the danger of any passion or creative endeavor. A dude that wants to play the guitar for the love of his gift from God will find a way to play a phone book and make it sound good. Not judging those who buy top shelf radios. Just food and possibly extra funds for thought.

God speed buddy
Jett
Old 05-18-2017, 8:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

While I have some Yaesu and Icom dual band mobile radios, I mostly went the other direction. I bought single band dedicated commercial radios for my own use. While equipping a fleet of vehicles for VHF and UHF operation, it was easy enough to add additional Icom IC-F1020/F2020's to the list.

Later it was Vertex Standard VX-3200 and older CDM1550LS+ mobile VHF and UHF radios stacked in my car. Having two separate radios has been great when I needed true high power crossbanding and the use of both VHF and UHF at the same time. For one emergency response operation, adding these radios to a remote control stack was as easy as extending a data cable to each VX-3200.

Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu have bee great for amateur radio use. However, for commercial use, I'll stick with Motorola and Harris.

I am staying away from Kenwood commercial radios until they sort out that whole EF Johnson, Zetron compatibility mess, and the Kenwood NXDN lockup issues.
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2017, 7:39 PM

I have a ton of radios from everyone of the big three and a couple from alinco and baofeng, if I was going to get a new mobile at this point ,considering I just absolutely love the Kenwood 710 g enough to own three and the last one I bought on a Christmas sale for $509 great deal , but I would say get the Icon 4100, yes it's annoying that it does not come with mounting brackets , however it will allow you with a little extra options the ability to control it from any computer or android in the world, and will give you access to analog and digital dstar without buying a hotspot, last i looked the 4100 was cheaper than the 5100 and has the plus 2 features the 5100 lacks, so if going for a ham level dual bander that would be my choice , I can control my home 710 via echolink but being able to do that directly without echolink has me intrested, the same icom program will also you allow you to control any of there modern HF transceivers as well .

I also own the 8800 and 8900 yaesus they are bullet proof and pretty cheap at this point having bern on the market for so long ,but i would really think what you want to do with the rig now ? and in the future,and not go with the cheapest rig ,but rather one that meets your current needs and has a place in future needs without much outlay in the future , basicly I wouldn't consider buying a rig without a TNC & GPS , even if you don't use them today , they will be there for tommorow and will increase the rigs value if you decide to sell it down the road.
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited by wrath; 05-20-2017 at 7:51 PM..
Old 05-21-2017, 12:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Check out the ICOM ID-5100A... dual band (VHF/UHF) coverage with decent power output on both bands, an incredible sensitive and selective receiver, a large and clear display, and easy to program (easier with the RT software and cable, but can be done through the SD card). I have owned and used Yaesu and Kenwood stuff over the years, and liked them as well,but the ID-5100A blows all of them into the weeds without even breaking a sweat. Build quality is excellent, and the price, for what you get, is reasonable.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM

I am waiting for the Connect Systems 800D myself .. time to get something that does the new technologies that people are using.
Old 06-26-2017, 6:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I prefer Yaesu for mobile operation due to ergonomics and ease of use. I like Icom for home use for features, sensitivity and overall quality.
Old 06-27-2017, 8:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasemt13 View Post
Hands down the 7800/7900s by Yaesu. I own the 7900R and have used both. For a plug and play radio, it can't be beat. Real slim, stays real cool under the seat operating at full power. If you get it new from most places, they'll send the separation kit. Programming with the software is a cinch, and hand programming can become second nature.
I'll throw in another vote for the Yaesu 7900. Ran this one in my old truck for 6 years without a single problem. The audio from the brick when mounted under the passenger seat is actually loud enough to hear without a remote speaker. I like the separation kit as the remote head is pretty small and easy to mount. Here's a pic of mine mounted in my old truck, a 2010 FJ Cruiser. I mounted the head on a RAM mount in the front cup holder. I will probably end up doing the same thing in my Tundra.

Last edited by W2PDX; 06-27-2017 at 8:52 AM.. Reason: typo