RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 3:31 PM

Default Yaesu FT-270R and Ni-MH battery ...

Guys, I bought a Yaesu FT-270R recently. I didn't think about it at the time, but a friend tells me it uses a Ni-MH battery and he much prefers lithium-ion. Does anyone a Lithium-Ion replacement battery for this radio?

Can I expect poor performance with the factory battery (memory effect, short life, etc.)?

What similar radios use lithium ion batteries?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2011, 4:03 PM
CenTex DBA
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nope, this thing is a workhorse, and if you got it new, and condition the batteries, it will last a long time.

Fully drain the battery for the first 5 times, and fully charge it each of those times.

I take this HT kayaking with me, and it has no problem with the conditions of Central Texas rivers and Central Texas heat.
Old 05-04-2011, 4:17 PM

Cool, thanks. ;-)
Old 05-05-2011, 1:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your well-meaning friend should have also told you that your present charger probably will not be able to charge a lithium-ion battery if you do obtain one. First check with Vertex, then check the websites of people such as W&W, Multiplier, and other battery suppliers. Lithium-ion usually costs quite a bit more than Ni-MH and for ordinary use you probably don't need the fancy battery whose two chief advantages are that it's smaller than Ni-MH units and will also hold a charge sitting on the shelf for a much longer period of time. Again, if you do find and buy a lithium-ion battery do not try to charge it in your charger unless you're certain that the charger is what is called a "tri-chem" charger.