Ft60r tx mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know for a fact if you can do the MARS/CAP mod and then transmit on a GMRS repeater in the event of an emergency since they are not type excepted for GMRS use. Also does anyone know if you can do the same thing to a Yaesu 7800R? PM me if you dont want to post.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Most gmrs repeater owners would prefer not to have modded ham gear on their systems to begin with, if that gives you a clue.

n9zas

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
Gmrs mod

thank you for the reply, however that was not the question I asked, I am a GMRS repeater owner as well as a Ham Repeater owner. My question is in theory if you had a go bag with one radio that would do GMRS and ham could the FT-60R be that radio. I am not implying everyday use just asking if the radios limitations allow this to be possible, hope that clarifies the question, if your going to post please keep it on subject.

stevelton

The FT-60r can be modded, I did it to mine when I had one. Not sure about the 7800, but more than likely. Just sign up for a free account at modz.dk and search for your radio models. Disclaimer. If you brick your radio, its not my fault you did the mod...
Steven

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
Gmrs mod

Thank you Steven, I was almost sure it could be modified. Did you ever get it to save a GMRS split and working sucessfuly after the mod? Can you achieve an odd split from the kaypad or do you have to use the windows software?

W2NJS

If you are the owner of both a GMRS and an amateur repeater I should think that you would know the answers to the questions you've asked before you asked them. And the proper word is type ACCEPTED, not type EXCEPTED.

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
Seriously

Why is it that someone can't ask a simple question without someone always giving an opinion. I am an owner of both and no that does not answer my question, in fact that has nothing to do with the question I'm asking, nor is the topic my ability to spell, or the fact that my phone accepted excepted and not accepted. So again please keep your opinions to yourself or just don't post. I thought the whole theory behind this site was to ask for help.

Last edited:

WouffHong

Spend a few bucks and go legal.

If you are the owner of both a GMRS and an amateur repeater I should think that you would know the answers to the questions you've asked before you asked them. And the proper word is type ACCEPTED, not type EXCEPTED.

Amen!! - Non-type-accepted transmitters can have spurs, harmonics, spurious and off-frequency outputs out of spec, and other cr@p that can do INTERFERENCE DAMAGE to the communications capabilites LEGAL communications have in place.

They are built to lower and/or different standards of accuracy and stability parameters and we had an experience where some modded 7800's drifted off-frequency and exhibited distortions making comms a disaster.

Drop the CB-Mentaility, get real and don't mod Ham gear, expecting it will function properly in an out-of-design transmitter state. :roll: :roll:

Wouff
Former 2-way radio shop owner.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
This is not a slam or meant to be slanderous....unless your radio can cut down to half a watt, it wont be legal to use on GMRS or FRS. I have a Wouxun that I can transmit and receive on these frequencies, but I don't simply because the lowest it goes to is 1 watt.

WouffHong

At least a Justified answer, Didn't like the slam but i'll accept the information.
No slam intended - just a strong position from 20+ years of 2-way radio/marine/CB interaction and in THESE times, a hope that common sense and a realization that lives can be at stake when the tornadoes hit (or other disaster) and SUCCESSFUL communications is SO important - witness the activity now in Jasper County, MO - Listen right here on RR - The comms are vital and at times heart-rending. We lived 3 years on an off-shore sailboat and It's analogous to buying the cheapest Chinese Life-Raft you can find and feeling comfortable that you would survive a sinking of the mother ship. ;-)
Take care! - I know your basic intentions were and are to be a help or contributor to essential comms, but please, not with a "chinese liferaft" :)
Da Wouff

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
This is not a slam or meant to be slanderous....unless your radio can cut down to half a watt, it wont be legal to use on GMRS or FRS. I have a Wouxun that I can transmit and receive on these frequencies, but I don't simply because the lowest it goes to is 1 watt.

Quick clarification, type-accepted FRS are 500 mW while type-accepted, licensed GMRS radios are up to 50 W on the GMRS only channels.

As for the FT-60, I don't have anything to add to that.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Amen!! - Non-type-accepted transmitters can have spurs, harmonics, spurious and off-frequency outputs out of spec, and other cr@p that can do INTERFERENCE DAMAGE to the communications capabilites LEGAL communications have in place.

They are built to lower and/or different standards of accuracy and stability parameters and we had an experience where some modded 7800's drifted off-frequency and exhibited distortions making comms a disaster.

Drop the CB-Mentaility, get real and don't mod Ham gear, expecting it will function properly in an out-of-design transmitter state. :roll: :roll:

Wouff
Former 2-way radio shop owner.

Exactly true. Thanks for bringing this to the surface. :)

n9zas

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
No slam intended - just a strong position from 20+ years of 2-way radio/marine/CB interaction and in THESE times, a hope that common sense and a realization that lives can be at stake when the tornadoes hit (or other disaster) and SUCCESSFUL communications is SO important - witness the activity now in Jasper County, MO - Listen right here on RR - The comms are vital and at times heart-rending. We lived 3 years on an off-shore sailboat and It's analogous to buying the cheapest Chinese Life-Raft you can find and feeling comfortable that you would survive a sinking of the mother ship. ;-)
Take care! - I know your basic intentions were and are to be a help or contributor to essential comms, but please, not with a "chinese liferaft" :)
Da Wouff

Sad thing is....China, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan....your radios all come from Asia. Some are just made better than others. I guess its different strokes for different folks. Here, alot of police, fire, and EMT's rely on these chinese radios pretty heavily, primarily because the professional Motorola radios are close to $700. I like mine for general chit chat, but as far as reliability long term....im saving for the Yaesu FT-60

dmaria

Da Wouff

I am old enough to remember when:

If it said "Made in Japan" it was considered a piece of junk.

Then:

If it said "Made in Taiwan" it was considered a piece of junk.

Then:

If it said "Made in Korea" it was a piece of junk.

Now:

If it says "Made in China" it is considered junk.

Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood all make State of the Art communications equipment. All the latest high tech computer motherboards are made in Taiwan and Samsung is a leader in TVs, computer memory, cell phones and LCD displays (and many other things).

I have a Ham (extra), and a GMRS license. I own Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood radios. I also own a Chinese HT from Wouxun. I consider the Wouxun a nice little radio (albeit with a couple of little quirks). As with all things, some hands-on experience is helpful rather than stating an "all inclusive" opinion. China is making progress - not all things they make are junk.

Last edited:

WouffHong

Btdt

I am old enough to remember when:

If it said "Made in Japan" it was considered a piece of junk.
[Then became and still is good stuff! ;-) ]

Then:

If it said "Made in Taiwan" it was considered a piece of junk.
[Then became and still is good stuff! ;-) ]

Then:

If it said "Made in Korea" it was a piece of junk.
[Then became and still is sorta good stuff! ;-) ]

Now:
If it says "Made in China" it is considered junk.
[Then one day may become and stay good stuff! ;-) ] :roll:

Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood all make State of the Art communications equipment. All the latest high tech computer motherboards are made in Taiwan and Samsung is a leader in TVs, computer memory, cell phones and LCD displays (and many other things).
[Tnx fer the education. ;-)) :roll: :roll:

I have a Ham (extra), and a GMRS license. I own Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood radios. I also own a Chinese HT from Wouxun. I consider the Wouxun a nice little radio (albeit with a couple of little quirks). As with all things, some hands-on experience is helpful rather than stating an "all inclusive" opinion. China is making progress - not all things they make are junk..

Nope - They will, and are, trying to improve or go out of business..

FWIW in the mutual-brag dept: I am an Extra, licensed since 1951 as a Novice WN1, got General and Commercial 2nd w/RADAR endorsement ticket at 15, a retired NASA COMM-Systems Eng'r, owned GMRS repeater in FL, and just turned Ham-Age: "73" a few months ago :wink: :wink:

Feel free to say "Big Whoop" (ROTFLMAO)
Tom
http://rettysnitch.org ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.