Help for Unmodding the MARS Mod for 2011 Version of Yaesu FT-897D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings All!

I am relatively new to the Amateur hobby and have been tinkering with my new Yaesu FT-857D which I have purchased back in March of this year.

First mod that I did was to open up the TX range on the radio via Jumper modification. Later I found out that my autotune function to control the ATAS-120A is not working - though the manual tuning works fine.

I am looking to un-do this mod because of this issue, but, did not note the original factory jumper position to go back to where it once was.

Does anyone know which jumper positions (I believe it was just two jumpers) should be shorted and rest left open?

Also, does the radio holds any SWR mapping like a Tuner that gets wiped out when you perform the factory reset via [V/M]+Power sequence?

Thank you so much for your time and 73

Pete KC2ZXL

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Before you attempt to un-mod the radio, have you checked the radio's menu option for the auto tuner to make sure it's set at the proper selection? There are several choices, and the wrong selection would cause the autotuner to not operate correctly.

I don't use the ATAS-120A, so I don't know offhand where the frequency memory is stored.

It's menu 85 when you hold down the FUNC key for 1 sec. It has been set to ATAS (HF), ATAS(HF-50), ATAS(All). Each time you change it, the antenna will re-initialize, which takes about a minute. I can live with manual tuning for now. It's the MFk menu, but of course, reason I'd like the autotune back is because often, I need to use two hands, one for keying the mic, and the other to press the UP or DOWN key on the MFk menu. With autotune, I just need to hold down TUNE for a second or more.

Now, I did speak to one of my coworker, whom is also a seasoned Extra HAM and he kind of went along the similar lines where I was thinking. By performing the wideband mod, the band range, now that it's wider, may be causing the radio to be incompatible with the ATAS which is preset most likely.

I might have to call Yaesu and kind of steer them into giving me the answer for the jumper setting for my radio, even if that means I may void the 1 year warranty.

EDIT:

I called up Yaesu for the heck of it and they informed me that the radio should not be the issue because they have lots of radios that has been modified that exibit symptoms as such. They were saying that the antenna might be stuck during initialization but even that plausible because it tunes fine when it is tuned manually.

They did tell me the jumper numbers: JP2 & JP6. However, they are not 100% sure, but I am willing to try it out to see if it will correct it. Also, as far as resetting the CPU, sequence they told me is [HOME]+Power.
Before you attempt to un-mod the radio, have you checked the radio's menu option for the auto tuner to make sure it's set at the proper selection? There are several choices, and the wrong selection would cause the autotuner to not operate correctly.

I don't use the ATAS-120A, so I don't know offhand where the frequency memory is stored.

Last edited:

shepsvettes

mars

I have anew FT-857 and I can't find the mods for the new version with just jumpers from the factory. Can you tell me whhat all you did?

Status
Not open for further replies.