RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 6:02 PM

Default What HT radio gets close to meeting my needs/wants?

New guy here. I'm studying for my tech ticket hopefully within a months time I'll have it. I've been reading reviews on HT's and across the internet for several weeks. Just when I think I'm honed in on a feature set I find something I might not like.

Eventually I'll probably get something like a portable Yaesu 857D. But for now I'm looking for a dual band HT. I go out into rural areas a lot, stomping through the woods, in all weather and although I take care of any gear I have I can be a bit rough on it and I want it to be durable.

So I'm looking for durability, reasonable waterproofing, control lockout when I'm just listening and walking around and must be able to use AA's as a backup preferably at full power not at 300 mW.

The 2-3 unit's I've been looking at are the Yaesu FT-6R, VX-6R and for grins the VX-8DR. The DR is probably overkill for me at this early stage. The 6R seems rugged and folks like them, but I don't think it's "submersible" waterproof, and I don't think you can lockout the controls and can easily bump a knob or button and change freq's - Has this changed? The VX-6R 2 AA battery pack is minimal and basically defeats the purpose of having in an emergency situation unless you want to use morse code.

So is there some other durable reliable brand that has the features I'm looking for? Kenwood, ICOM??? Maybe I've overlooked the model with the features I'm looking for but Kenwood and ICOM tend to go to a single band only if it's submersible rated.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 PM

Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethroUSMC View Post
New guy here. I'm studying for my tech ticket hopefully within a months time I'll have it. I've been reading reviews on HT's and across the internet for several weeks. Just when I think I'm honed in on a feature set I find something I might not like.

Eventually I'll probably get something like a portable Yaesu 857D. But for now I'm looking for a dual band HT. I go out into rural areas a lot, stomping through the woods, in all weather and although I take care of any gear I have I can be a bit rough on it and I want it to be durable.

So I'm looking for durability, reasonable waterproofing, control lockout when I'm just listening and walking around and must be able to use AA's as a backup preferably at full power not at 300 mW.

The 2-3 unit's I've been looking at are the Yaesu FT-6R, VX-6R and for grins the VX-8DR. The DR is probably overkill for me at this early stage. The 6R seems rugged and folks like them, but I don't think it's "submersible" waterproof, and I don't think you can lockout the controls and can easily bump a knob or button and change freq's - Has this changed? The VX-6R 2 AA battery pack is minimal and basically defeats the purpose of having in an emergency situation unless you want to use morse code.

So is there some other durable reliable brand that has the features I'm looking for? Kenwood, ICOM??? Maybe I've overlooked the model with the features I'm looking for but Kenwood and ICOM tend to go to a single band only if it's submersible rated.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
Well I own the vx6r and I can tell you, yes there is a AA cell pack available as a option BUT...you will not transmit at anything more than 1.5 watts out with it. Now with the FNB80LI lithium ion pack you can have 8-10 hrs maybe longer on a full charge. It is also capable of 4 bands, 50,144,220,440mhz. and is waterproof and milspec.
It is an excellent choice, and I got mine from GigaParts.com

n9zas
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

+1 for vx6r. I've taken it on several major hiking and camping trips. It's a nice tough radio and great battery life. I just upgraded to the 8dr for the dual receive feature.
Old 05-28-2012, 3:40 PM

Thanks for all of the input.

I think I'm just going to go for the VX-7R right now with a spare battery or two, although not choosing the 8dr is a difficult choice with dual receive. Maybe in the future. By then perhaps Jim Mitchell will code VX-8 Commander.
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM

Don't forget to get a good antenna to go along with the HT.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ditto +1 for the 6R... and it is water-resistant. And instead of the stock antenna I use a Diamond RH77CA antenna with good results.