IC 2820 setup for APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejpolson

I've followed all the instructions I find on the web for setting up my IC 2820 to send APRS data, but to date I'm not showing up on aprs.fi. Is there anything not published that I'm missing, or anyone that has succeeded that can provide more detailed instructions?

K4APR

The IC-2820 is not APRS capable out of the box. You'll have to connect some kind of APRS tracker to the radio, such as an RTrak-Lite, OpenTracker or TinyTrak. I think that radio has a standard mini din 6 pin packet port that works well for interfacing any of these units to it. The IC-2820 however, can have a DStar option added on to make it DStar capable, but that does not come standard with the radio and DStar is NOT APRS by any means.

canav844

Are you trying to do DPRS with it? If so then you must check to see if the DStar repeater you are using is running extra software through a laptop to overlay that to APRS.fi
More info here:
D-PRS
Setting up D-PRS
and some reading here may help you ID common pitfalls:
APRS/DPRS
I have made it work with my IC92AD it's pretty neat when it works but the coverages are completely different as the APRS network has been around longer and been built up more over the years due to both time and cost.

ejpolson

APRS Setup

Thanks for the reply. I only want to do APRS, not DPRS, as I don't know of any DStar repeaters that are supporting the extra software needed. If you have APRS up and running, that's the help I need with the IC-2820, as I've followed several instruction guides, and it's still not showing up on APRS.fi.

Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

To use the IC-2820 on APRS you are going to need an external device to take the GPS data and format it into an APRS data packet, Byonics, Rtrac and ArgentData make devices that will do this. Secondly you need to be with in range of an iGate or a Digipeater that can be heard by an iGate. If the OpenTracker/TinyTracker is configured properly, AND is heard by an iGate, you will show up on APRS.FI.

The IC-2820 cannot, by its self, send APRS packets, it does NOT have that capability.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I only want to do APRS, not DPRS, as I don't know of any DStar repeaters that are supporting the extra software needed. If you have APRS up and running, that's the help I need with the IC-2820, as I've followed several instruction guides, and it's still not showing up on APRS.fi.

Thanks

What equipment are you using? More info will help us to help you. It's already been established that the 2820 will not do APRS stand alone.

What TNC (tracker)

What GPS

What Antenna

The more you share, the easier it will be for us to help steer you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.