RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Yaesu FT1DR/E

So, I opened a QST and found this "12.5 kHz C4FM FDMA" FT1DR/E on the back cover. I've never before felt like a description could tell me everything and nothing both at the same time. Any of you know what this is compatible (or maybe better, not compatible) with? For example, would it go through my 2 meter Quantar and be able to communicate with my EFJ 5100 in P25? Or is it something completely different (as if the amateur market needed another different digital protocol)? Anyone have an inside track on whether this thing can talk to anything other than itself (like the Alincos do/did/whatever)?
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2012, 8:11 PM

From what I hear, and this is secondhand mind you, Yeasu said that the digital mode is similar to P25, but entirely incompatible and unique, which to me seems a waste, but hey.
Old 06-29-2012, 8:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
So, I opened a QST and found this "12.5 kHz C4FM FDMA" FT1DR/E on the back cover. I've never before felt like a description could tell me everything and nothing both at the same time. Any of you know what this is compatible (or maybe better, not compatible) with? For example, would it go through my 2 meter Quantar and be able to communicate with my EFJ 5100 in P25? Or is it something completely different (as if the amateur market needed another different digital protocol)? Anyone have an inside track on whether this thing can talk to anything other than itself (like the Alincos do/did/whatever)?
Go to the Digital Voice for Amatuer Use forum a bit futher down from this one. It's been hashed to death since the announcement that Yaesu was going to have digital voice radios. You'll not be the only one who has scratched their head over this topic
Larry
Old 06-30-2012, 7:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it would be... well, you know. See you there.
Old 06-30-2012, 2:31 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

From what I heard from Yeasue when I was at Dayton. That the C4FM part was not P25 persay but was going to be a yaesu version of digital and also I was told by a Yaesu rep that the radio would also work with Motorola Trbo.
Sponsored links

Old 06-30-2012, 5:45 PM

The whole world waited until Dayton for Yaesu to intro this radio. Sadly it will only talk in digital mode to another FT1DR, so it's quite useless. What a waste!!! GARY N4KVE
Old 06-30-2012, 6:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONBOOTS View Post
The whole world waited until Dayton for Yaesu to intro this radio. Sadly it will only talk in digital mode to another FT1DR, so it's quite useless. What a waste!!! GARY N4KVE
True. I think it's quite possible that yaesu thought our impulse would be to order that piece of crap with the mistaken impression that this would be a cheaper way to buy a P25 radio without having to deal with moto's protocol issues hoping the amateur radio consumers would bite, but not so much.
Yaesu marketing guru's dropped the ball this time.

n9zas
Old 07-02-2012, 3:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Yaesu marketing guru's dropped the ball this time.
Ya know, I wonder about what these amateur radio manufacturers in Japan think of their American market. I've always thought that they are less about performance and practical application, and more about toys and gadgets. I wonder if there is just so much of a cultural divide that they're pushing stuff to a market they just don't understand. At all.
Old 07-02-2012, 5:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Why?

They make theses things so small and (silver) toy looking. The VX series overloaded with functions and features and tiny buttons, let alone menu structure that requires you to either memorize a 1/2" thick manual or buy an after market "cheat sheet manual" to carry with ya to remember what things do what. Again, Yaesu made a toy looking radio and this time they will be able to write off the American market as it isn't compatible with anything used here in the digital realm. I for one really wanted this to be DMR - TRBO compatible.. Oh, well. Build it and they will buy it. Wonder how many suckers will have to be first adapters and just gotta have one? But, I am just beating a dead horse, again. I am quite happy with DMR - TRBO it just works great for me. This weekend a phone call to HRO, a sales rep on the phone KNEW NOTHING about this radio at all!!! Yaesu struck out with this release. Ain't it grand.
Attached Images

Sponsored links