Yeasu FT-7800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadinator

How do I know I the finals went out in my radio? I can hear transmissions coming in but no. One can hear me. I get the hit back from the repeater but no voice from mine. Any ideas?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How do I know I the finals went out in my radio? I can hear transmissions coming in but no. One can hear me. I get the hit back from the repeater but no voice from mine. Any ideas?

Easy, check power out on a vhf watt meter into a dummy load. ;)

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
What are you using for a antenna? If it's not tuned for the 2 meter amateur band then that could be a problem.

n9zas

Spadinator

It is a multi band VHF/UHF that I have always connected to this radio. It was hard mounted and tuned about years ago. The radio and antenna setup was moved to another vehicle today.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber

What do you mean by "I get the hit back from the repeater"? Are you saying when you unkey the mic you hear the squelch tail from the repeater? If that's the case, you are transmitting something. Do you have a scanner or another radio? Listen to the repeater input frequency with it and transmit with your radio to see if you can hear yourself (preferably with an earphone).

Spadinator

Yes I get the tone beep so I am hitting the repeater. After I check it with my swr I will try my handheld and see if I can hear the radio.

Spadinator

Well it looks like the radio is bad. I could not get the swr meter to tune in. It pegs past 3/1 when the mike was keyed. I changed antennas, line kits and mounting with the same result. I hooked up a different radio and was able to pull the swr in with minor adjustments. When I set the meter to power it pegs it all the way to the right. Sounds bad to me!

gewecke

Banned
Well it looks like the radio is bad. I could not get the swr meter to tune in. It pegs past 3/1 when the mike was keyed. I changed antennas, line kits and mounting with the same result. I hooked up a different radio and was able to pull the swr in with minor adjustments. When I set the meter to power it pegs it all the way to the right. Sounds bad to me!

Maybe not? What model swr/power meter are you using? Most vhf power meters will not show full deflection like that with less than 1 watt, and if you're radio is pinning your meter then it seems like your final may be working. Borrow another meter if possible that's known to be correct.

n9zas

Spadinator

I am using a realistic swr/power meter. What would explain why I can tune one radio in but not my yeasu. That is the part I can't figure out. I have a signal band VHF radio that tunes in just fine using the same swr meter.

gewecke

Banned
I am using a realistic swr/power meter. What would explain why I can tune one radio in but not my yeasu. That is the part I can't figure out. I have a signal band VHF radio that tunes in just fine using the same swr meter.

A radio shack power meter? Are you SURE it's for vhf?? What's the model number on it? Not only that, but you NEED a swr meter which will work for vhf/uhf both since a ft7800 is a dual band radio! :roll:

n9zas

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Whoa, back up! You are hitting the repeater because you hear the courtesy beep and squelch tail. Your SWR meter (whatever it is) is maxing out, so this shows you're putting SOMETHING out to the antenna.

Why do you say no one hears you? Have you made numerous calls with no response or did someone say that you were just not into the repeater with any clarity. Maybe you were just trying to monitor your transmissions with a second receiver? A little more info could possibly clear this up.

gewecke

Banned
Whoa, back up! You are hitting the repeater because you hear the courtesy beep and squelch tail. Your SWR meter (whatever it is) is maxing out, so this shows you're putting SOMETHING out to the antenna.

Why do you say no one hears you? Have you made numerous calls with no response or did someone say that you were just not into the repeater with any clarity. Maybe you were just trying to monitor your transmissions with a second receiver? A little more info could possibly clear this up.

That's what I've been trying to figure out from what he's saying.

n9zas

Spadinator

I have had other operators come back and say " I can hear you but you are scratchy and unreadable". I tried a second receiver and I can't read my radio. I also have tried other repeaters With the same result. I am at a loss and have walked away from it for now.

Last edited:

mrweather

When you "tried a second radio and can't read" your radio, was the receiver tuned to the repeater input or output? If the repeater output, you may be overloading the receiver making it look like you're not receiving anything.

Try listening to the repeater input frequency.

KB0VWG

Only milliwatts

You need to check the power output, the vhf final might have gone out and your able to hit the repeater with just milliwatts if you are not that far from it or have a good antenna at a good height. I did have a ft-8500 with low power output on vhf and i was able to get into a repeater, when I check the wattage on with a Diamond Sx 400 swr/power meter. the meter never did move.
the final can be replaced.
Kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.