RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 9:53 PM

Default Old computer power supply for radio use

I'm working on a project where I'll need a little dedicated power supply. I didn't want to go and purchase one, so I did a quick little mod on an old ATX supply.

Old computer power supplies are also a great resource for ham radio transmitters, CB radios, chargers, or any other item that needs a regulated 12 volt source. Many of these older power supplies do not have an on/off switch on the unit. By tapping the green wire and any of the black wires on that connection plug that goes to the motherboard a standard switch can be wired in.

Another benefit is that these supplies have several wired 12 volt and 5 volt outputs. A custom supply with USB plugs and several cigarette-style receptacles could be constructed. So if someone needs a power supply and is a little tight on cash but has an old computer laying around, this might be a good option.

Anyhow, this is nothing too new. But I always make a little YouTube video of these projects if anyone is interested.

Reuse An Old Computer Power Supply - YouTube

Dan
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Be aware that a transmitter designed to run on "12VDC" is actually designed to run at 13.5 to 14VDC. They will run on 12V and that is exactly what you will get from a computer supply but many times will not give you full power on transmit or audio to the speaker. If that is not a concern, I too use computer supplies for various tasks. My transmitters though are on a PS designed for the high transient current demands and proper voltages.
Just sayin'

Bruce
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0nhp View Post
Be aware that a transmitter designed to run on "12VDC" is actually designed to run at 13.5 to 14VDC. They will run on 12V and that is exactly what you will get from a computer supply but many times will not give you full power on transmit or audio to the speaker. If that is not a concern, I too use computer supplies for various tasks. My transmitters though are on a PS designed for the high transient current demands and proper voltages.
Just sayin'

Bruce
You are exactly right. i would never trust these supplies on ham radios. my radios as most other hams radios are expensive and need a good supply designed for them.

just saying.

K3CFC
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Most computer power supplies are switching supplies and generate considerable RFI.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM

On the other hand, if you're Macgyver and you're locked in an office with a bomb about to go off and you need 12v in a pinch to release the electronic door lock, then you should definitely use a computer power supply.
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2012, 1:16 PM

Or if you're working on a "project", and need a small supply, know how to build any of the QRP homebrew gear, or use 2 or more in parallel with additional regulating circuitry, the will work. But, if you want to run to the nearest radio supply store, buy a ready built supply, hop on the internet, and order one waiting a few days (or weeks), that's good too. I have an assortment of supplies, as well as radios. I have tube gear (some I built), solid state gear, both manufactured, and home cobbled. The fact there are options some of us like, doesn't make it a bad article. I'm all for learning (even at my age), and experimenting. I don't buy expensive radios, one because I don't always have the funds to justify it, and two, I like the older stuff. Now, enjoy your own preference. If you're worried about someone jumping in, and destroying their $3000.00 dollar new radio, post something suggesting they should've spent the money to buy a $150.00-200.00 supply to go with it...