Is this the ‘sweet spot’ on the S-meter bars (Yaesu FT-857D) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petbytes

I’m new with Amateur Radio and the Yaesu FT-857D. I usually adjust the SQL/RF GAIN where it’s audibly comfortable for me. I notice on the S-Meter bars there is one wide bar (see image).

Is that what one might call a sweet spot? Just wondering what it’s for, if there is a particular reason.

73!

Attachments

• Meter.jpg
    Meter.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,290

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
RTFM

As all good up and coming hams do before operating a radio.

mancow

Database Admin
It is the rlative RF gain level. It moves as you turn the knob right? Top is max and bottom is minimum.

WB4CS

What do you mean by "Sweet Spot"?

Check the owners manual. If it doesn't mention anything about it, it could simply be a glitch in the display.

Last edited:

petbytes

As all good up and coming hams do before operating a radio.

Robertmac, I did read the manual. In fact I read a copy prior to it’s arrival vary thoroughly. But if you know anything about Yaesu operating manuals, you’ll know that they do not provide a whole lot of in-depth detail.

I was pleased to receive a private message here from someone that explained the bar on the meter. Turns out that he too was curious and contacted Yaesu. He was told that the bar in question is just a visual spot on the meter to set the gain at S9 as an average position.
73!

majoco

Stirrer
a visual spot on the meter to set the gain at S9 as an average position

Whaaat?

What happens if you go to a VHF/UHF band and switch to FM narrow - can you move the little spot up and down with the squelch control?

Don't forget that Yaesu write poor manuals with bits missing!

Last edited:

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Here's a public message to explain the meter. On page 56 of the manual, the procedure for setting mic gain in FM mode uses 16 bars on the meter. The little "tic" to the left is the 16th bar.

Get the PDF, do a find on what you're looking for!

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
if you switch menu item 80 from "RF-GAIN" to "SQL" that will get rid of that and work a lot better.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

How is that supposed to help?

It changes the squelch knob from RF-Gain knob to a squelch knob. By default it's set to RF-GAIN.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
The OP originally wanted to know what the 16th bar indicator on the meter was. Changing the knob's function to SQL puts the RF gain at max all the time. He was previously adjusting the gain to suit his listening. Now that won't be happening. There isn't a reason to change the function.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The OP originally wanted to know what the 16th bar indicator on the meter was. Changing the knob's function to SQL puts the RF gain at max all the time. He was previously adjusting the gain to suit his listening. Now that won't be happening. There isn't a reason to change the function.

I miss read the original post. I apologize. I was always under the assumption that the bar was mainly for ALC marking that you didn't want the ALC going above that point.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'm still confused. The screen does not indicate FM transmission but USB on 7.185?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm still confused. The screen does not indicate FM transmission but USB on 7.185?

There is nothing that states that you can not use USB on on the Lower HF bands. Even though LSB is preferred, technically there is nothing wrong with it, if that was the case they would make the radios in such a way that you couldn't.

D

DaveNF2G

So there are two "right answers" according to this thread.

1) The long bar indicates S9.

2) The long bar indicates an adjustment level.

So which is it really? Or does it depend on what mode the radio is operating?

Status
Not open for further replies.