Yaesu FT-252 and FT-257 Handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

I noticed today on Gigaparts website that the new FT 252 and FT 257 monoband handhelds are out. Running $120 each.

I'm seriously considering picking up the FT-257 for 70cm since I'm in the market for a good UHF handheld. I was going to go with the Alinco DJ-V47T since it's $99, but the new Yaesu looks like it might be a better radio. Too bad Kenwood doesn't have a UHF only handheld to compliment my TH-K20A :(

Since these are brand new models so there aren't any online reviews out just yet. If anyone has already purchased one (or does in the near future) I'd like to hear your thoughts on the radio, either model.

MarkWestin

The only potential problems that I can see are:

1. Brand new model (there could be firmware bugs)
2. No Keypad
3. Lithium Ion Battery (only)

While I have a few radios with Lithium Ion batteries and they work well, In an emergency when there is no electricity available it might be hard to recharge the battery. If there were a battery holder available that would accept 6 AA batteries (for full power use) then I wouldn't count this against it. So far no dealer is showing a battery holder, and on some of my other Yaesu handhelds the battery holder only holds 2 AA (useless except for receive).

I have the Yaesu FT-270 which is good so far. The FT-277 is the same for 440. These are very basic models but seem to work well.

Mark

CT5HPO

Too bad Kenwood doesn't have a UHF only handheld to compliment my TH-K20A :(

Brandon, I've seen on a previous post you've been looking for a 70cms Kenwood HT. That's the TH-K40A, which ain't listed on the main US shops catalogs but you can find it at least in one online shop, just GI
Kenwood's stock battery capacity ain't better compared to the new Yaesu FT-257 which is 1130 mAh vs 1030 mAh, but you always have a larger capacity battery available in option so I would stick to Kenwood and run every HT in family :)

Good Luck

N4KVE

Remember, while the TH-K40 can be imported from somewhere in the world, it's not distributed in the US, so if there is a problem with it, Kenwood USA will not touch it since they did not import it. Also, the coverage on the radio is 430-440, as that's the UHF ham band where the radio is sold, so the radio would have to be modded to make it work at 440-450. While companies used to import single band UHF radios, [Yaesu still does]I don't see that much, because for a few more bucks you can get a dual band HT. Also, the new current Chinese dual banders cost much less than the Kenwood, so it wouldn't be profitable to import. GARY

KENWOOD TH-K20A/TH-K40A Handheld Walkie Talkie Two Way Radio

FEATURES:

1.Frequency range

Guarantee frequency range: TX (TH-K20A) 144-148 MHz (TH-K40A) 430-440 MHz

Operational frequency range: RX (TH-K20A) 136-174 MHz (TH-K40A) 400-470 MHz

2.Meets or exceeds the stringent IP54 dust and water intrusion standards as well as the MIL-STD 3.810 C, D, E, F & G environmental standards

4.200 Channels with 6-Digit memory name

5.High sound pressure for audio clarity

6.Li-ion battery and cradle charger

7.Direct function keys and Internal VOX

8.PC Programmable with MCP-5A

9.Backlit LCD and Keypad

10.CTCSS & DCS Encoder / Decoder + Cross tone capability

11.Tone alert (bell)

12.Dimensions (with KNB-63L) : (W)54 x (H)111.7 x (D)25.3 mm

13.Weight (with KNB-63L) : 210g

Last edited:

WB4CS

Brandon, I've seen on a previous post you've been looking for a 70cms Kenwood HT. That's the TH-K40A, which ain't listed on the main US shops catalogs but you can find it at least in one online shop, just GI
Kenwood's stock battery capacity ain't better compared to the new Yaesu FT-257 which is 1130 mAh vs 1030 mAh, but you always have a larger capacity battery available in option so I would stick to Kenwood and run every HT in family :)

Good Luck

I had forgotten about this thread :)

I was in the market for a 70cm handheld, but have since decided to throw that idea away and go for another dual bander.

Months ago I called Kenwood about the TH-K40. They never made the US version (K40A), and I have not been able to find an "E" version of the radio. I can't even find mention of it online except for it's supposed existence because of the K-20 manual.

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.