Icom IC-7100

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4CA

I'm curious how well you think it would work as a mobile radio?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MikeMercury

that's an intersting question.

The biggest surprise I had of the 7100 during unboxing was that the control head is larger than how it appears to be in pictures. That was a pleasant surprise for me; as my application was going to be as a base unit.

The control head also has some weight to it; another pleasant surprise. I prefer it to have some bulk.

I guess the other concern is the readability of the display when in outdoor lighting conditions. There's sooo much functionality available via the touchscreen - it would be important to be able to read the screen well. In favor of the 7100, there are 16 hard-buttons on the control head (they are backlit as well), and the VFO wheel, and two dual-controls (volume, squelch on one... and the other can be programatically re-assigned).

The receive audio is greatly improved over the 7000. It means a lot to me because of my partial hearing loss.

Also on the 7100 is bass/treble controls... FOR THE TRANSMIT AUDIO !!! (as well as for the receive audio). This is long overdue IMO, as we all have our own unique ideas on what the fidelity of audio should sound like.

I hope that someone has actually mounted the 7100 in a vehicle can chime-in. I'll place a link to this thread on my web page.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In my opinion, touch screens have limited usefulness in a moving automobile. There is no tactile indication that you have your finger on the correct control which requires you to take your eyes away from the road to see what you are touching. Also, I find myself having to brace my hand on something else near the display to make sure my finger lands squarely where I want it to on the touch screen. For this reason, I think the Uniden Home Patrol and the Icom IC-7100 are a no-go for mobile use though that doesn't and won't stop people from doing it. And, in case you are thinking about modern automobiles with touch screens for HVAC and audio controls, bear in mind that Ford is quietly adding physical knobs and switches back to their cars that have been relying on touch screens the last couple of years.

As for transmit audio equalization adjustments, my Icom IC-746Pro and IC-7600 have this feature, so it's not new. To an extent, my Kenwood TS-870 has that feature, too.

Finally, long live the Icom IC-R7100, not IC-7100. The IC-R7100 was a 25-2000 MHz communications receiver with continuous tuning between those limits. I have one and I have no plans to get rid of it. This IC-7100, which is a completely different animal with a different purpose, hasn't convinced me.

Last edited:

N5TWB

I got a look at the 7100 at a hamfest this weekend and it is impressive for the size/heft noted in comments above. I've just begun evaluating the possibility of a new mobile HF/VHF/UHF so I appreciate the remarks about using the touch controls.

SCPD

QRT
I was also hesitative about the touch screen, as I expected it to be pushed by the "touchscreen trend".
Quite wrong I was.

This touch screen *really* makes radio life easier.
The touch buttons are quite large, so not very finger size critical at all.
There is a clear beep feedback if a touch is recognized.
The LCD is well readable under all light conditions.
Overall I think everything has become easier and more intuitive, even the deeper menus.

I already expect I couldn't live without it anymore.
Even caught myself touching the screen of my trusty IC-703 ;-)

Radio-wise the IC-7100 is an absolute joy.
Good audio, filters, excellent NB, IF DSP, onboard audio recorder, Dstar, many momories, etc.
it is the most versatile and advanced radio I have ever used.

The only small downside I discoverd is a limited bass response in AM demodulation which cuts off below around 200Hz (the rest of the modes are fine). This is only important for a niche group of broadcast DXers and hardly noticable on the internal speaker.

Paul
PD0PSB
(Owner for just over a week)

I got a look at the 7100 at a hamfest this weekend and it is impressive for the size/heft noted in comments above. I've just begun evaluating the possibility of a new mobile HF/VHF/UHF so I appreciate the remarks about using the touch controls.

N4CA

Yeah, I was thinking that the control head looked more like it was geared towards base use instead of mobile. So I guess it isn't really a successor to the 7000. Wouldn't it be cool if they sold an alternate variant with a more mobile friendly control head?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SCPD

QRT
I think Icom has found the right compromise between base/mobile use.

You can mount the panel under an angle so the LCD becomes in vertical position.
The buttons are facing slightly upwards and are easier to put pressure on.

In practise I find this easier than a strictly vertical panel.
(have the 706mk2g and 703 as well)

Paul
PD0PSB

MikeMercury

In my opinion, touch screens have limited usefulness in a moving automobile. There is no tactile indication that you have your finger on the correct control which requires you to take your eyes

did you not read the part where it's mentioned the two physical dual-controls,physical VFO knob, and the 16 hard buttons ???

The IC-R7100 ... . I have one and I have no plans to get rid of it.

where has anyone in this thread said that people with a certain model radio "should get rid of it" ??????????????? Who are you responding to?

This IC-7100, which is a completely different animal with a different purpose, hasn't convinced me.

I'm not here to convince anyone... nor talk someone out of something. This is a thread started for those that have bought the radio - or are going to.

Finally, long live the Icom IC-R7100, not IC-7100.

WOW; thank you for encouraging us to enjoy the hobby - using the radio we have at the moment...

:(

If you want to start your own thread saying what radios you don't like... go for it. Why select this thread and rain on your fellow hams sunny day ???

Last edited:

AC2OY

Thank you for this thread!!! I have been a ham operator for almost a year now and the first radio I wanted to get for a base rig was the IC-7000 until I actually saw the size of it. Since you stated that this one is larger and heavier food for thought!!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
did you not read the part where it's mentioned the two physical dual-controls,physical VFO knob, and the 16 hard buttons ?
Yes. I've seen many reviews and comments about this radio both in print and on video. I expect this radio to have the quality and performance of other Icom radios. However, I clearly stated that I don't care for touch screens in a mobile environment and that includes this radio. It's my opinion whether you agree with it or not.

As for the IC-R7100 comments, even though that radio is long gone from the Icom catalog, I find it ironic that Icom has chosen to duplicate, except for one letter, a model number from their past. Not the first time, though, as there was an IC-R7000 that preceeded the IC-R7100.

Last edited:

MikeMercury

Go AWAY !

you don't own this radio; no one wants for you to 'tell us all about it'.

Why not start your own thread about the radios you do own???

Last edited:

MikeMercury

Thank you for this thread!!! I have been a ham operator for almost a year now and the first radio I wanted to get for a base rig was the IC-7000 until I actually saw the size of it. Since you stated that this one is larger and heavier food for thought!!!

I have the 7000. One thing I am going to miss on it is (no, not the color display)... the video out port. I had a small LCD TV connected to my 7000; it was great being able to see what was happening from across the room.

Oh well; cant have it all.

:cheers:

SCPD

QRT
Yes, the video out has been dropped.

One of the downsides of the IC7000 was, that is was not compatible with Remoterig due to the display/video configuration.

The IC-7100 is fully compatible with Remoterig, and I am controlling it right now with the control panel in front of me and the radio black-box about 10 miles down the road on a quieter location.

This is a great combination.

Paul
PD0PSB

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thread Closed

The OP of this thread is off the rails and completely out of line. This is going to go nowhere quickly, so the thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.