RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 8:24 AM

I have a 10+ year old Kenwood tk-360 that still looks and works like new.
And I use almost every day.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM

I agree with the comments about the Wouxuns being durable. I have a KG-UVD1P and it has been dropped more times than i can count, and is not much worse for the wear than a bent antenna, a banged up belt clip, and a bunch of paintmarks and scuffs on the battery. Yes, its not as durable as my Motorolas, but at a fraction of the price, and the fact that it is dual band, I really cant complain.
Old 12-02-2013, 1:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Everyones mileage differs. I dropped a KG-UVD1P unto a rug and now it will turn itself off at any time. Have dropped a FT-60 numerous times, with battery flying off and it still works. Have had problems with Kenwoods as well not surving falls ending up with broken display, intermittent power off. Have a problem with an Icom but don't use one as much. Just buy ones that have the features you need.
Old 12-03-2013, 7:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry, I just had too. I love my rugged submersible saber (Baofeng for size comparison).

But in terms of common HT, my wouxun KG-UV6X has taken way more abuse than any Chinese HT should. A friend with a KG-UV3 dropped it 150ft while rock climbing, and all that was broken was the manufacturer duck.

Matt
KJ6PNN
Old 12-03-2013, 8:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I got a Baofeng UV-B5, works a treat. Also I dropped it from a height of about 1 meter or so the other day and it suffered no ill effects of any kind. It's also the first Baofeng I think I like.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2013, 9:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

GP300 is the only radio I've ever dropped. By dropped I don't mean I knocked off the counter or tripped while holding it and let go to catch myself with my hands…I mean off a Rohn 45 tower from 70 ft up. I guess it landed just right because all I had to replace was the case…which I had a few spares laying around.
Old 12-04-2013, 8:39 AM

Just because you drop a radio on the floor and key it up and it still transmits doesn't a durable radio make.

Using the Baofeng as an example, it may not shatter into a dozen pieces when you drop it (they don't have that much mass after all) but when you transmit on it for more than 15 minutes at a time and the display blanks out on you, would you still say that's a durable radio?

On some of the early Yaesu HT's that claimed to be submersible, and they were, but if to the station on the receiving end, it sounded like you had a drawer full of socks stuffed in your mouth, would that be a radio you'd want to use on a regular basis?

Look for a radio with
MIL-STD-810 testing and preferably one that's backed up by online videos of the tests actually being done.
Old 12-04-2013, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post

On some of the early Yaesu HT's that claimed to be submersible, and they were
Several years ago a bunch of friends went to the Orlando Hamfest. Joe bought a new VX-8, & immediately submerged it into a cooler that was mostly ice water. After 30 seconds he pulled it out, but we all told him he had to do it again so we could video this. We all got cameras, & he again submerged the radio for another 30 seconds. He still has that radio, & it works perfectly.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Just because you drop a radio on the floor and key it up and it still transmits doesn't a durable radio make.
No but it does speak to that end.

Quote:
Using the Baofeng as an example, it may not shatter into a dozen pieces when you drop it (they don't have that much mass after all) but when you transmit on it for more than 15 minutes at a time and the display blanks out on you, would you still say that's a durable radio?

On some of the early Yaesu HT's that claimed to be submersible, and they were, but if to the station on the receiving end, it sounded like you had a drawer full of socks stuffed in your mouth, would that be a radio you'd want to use on a regular basis?
Depends upon what I am using for my standard of durable and what my purpose is for the use of the radio. My amateur gear I don't run like commerical gear and vise versa. And who is transmitting for 15 continous minutes with a Baofeng? That is not what that radio was designed to do, no HT is. And I had a VX-7. It was a good rig that would take a lot of abuse. But it wasn't indestructable. Like all gear it had its limits. But I did use it on a regular basis.

Quote:
Look for a radio with MIL-STD-810 testing and preferably one that's backed up by online videos of the tests actually being done.
Nothing in indestructable, not even gear that has been run throught the ringer for military standard testing. I run my gear pretty hard and the commerical gear that we run at work does meet the MIL-STD-810. But will still manage find ways to screw that stuff up. And I'll be honest with you I trust my amateur gear just as much as I do the commerical gear that I utilize at my job. Do those serve the same roles? No. But when the gear is used in the fashion that it was intented then it works fine for those purposes. When you use gear outside of those parameters then guess what, things don't always works as they normally would
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5YOU View Post
And who is transmitting for 15 continous minutes with a Baofeng? That is not what that radio was designed to do, no HT is. )))
I was referring to a 15 minute QSO, not transmitting continuously.

Quote:
(((Nothing in indestructable, not even gear that has been run throught the ringer for military standard testing.)))
I made no claims of indestructibility.
Quote:
((( And I'll be honest with you I trust my amateur gear just as much as I do the commerical gear that I utilize at my job.
Well, what commericial gear are you using?

Last edited by rapidcharger; 12-07-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy2 View Post

Sorry, I just had too. I love my rugged submersible saber (Baofeng for size comparison).

But in terms of common HT, my wouxun KG-UV6X has taken way more abuse than any Chinese HT should. A friend with a KG-UV3 dropped it 150ft while rock climbing, and all that was broken was the manufacturer duck.

Matt
KJ6PNN
A little off topic, but several years ago, I remember seeing a tactical manual mentioning different stances in which a saber could be used as a defensive weapon, so I know I'd not want to be clubbed with one!

n9zas
Old 12-07-2013, 1:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Well, what commericial gear are you using?
That depends due to the building I work in house two different agencies under on roof. But roaming around that place are both Motorola and Kenwood products. The Motorola gear is all P25 complaint that runs on a regional repeater system and the Kenwood gear is all conventional UHF gear. Some EF Johnson stuff was around for a while but it is being phased out.
Old 12-07-2013, 1:49 PM

The Ge MP-A handheld with hamflash front programmable software, which we used to call these radios the pit bull killer, although I also like the rugged sabers both Regular and Astro.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 AM

So I too am looking for a very similar dual band radio. Trying to keep it around $200.

Narrowed it down to the

Yaesu FT-60
Yaesu VX-3R or VX-6R

ICOM IC-T70

My question is - do these do dual receive? If not, how does the dual watch mode work? is there some sort of priority mode?

Any help would be appreciated. New ham here. Just got my ticket