HT's that are actually durable as advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowex3

I'm helping some friends replace their equipment and while a lot of HT's, like the Yaesu VX's and Kenwoods I've seen, are advertised as being shock-proof and water resistant I don't really know which actually are and will stand up to falls, jerks, and general hard use.

Anyone know of some models or lines that will actually stand up as well as claimed on the spec sheets? We're looking for front programmable 2m/70cm HT's with actual dual receive, which is why we didn't just get some chinese HT's and consider them disposable.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't really know which actually are and will stand up to falls, jerks, and general hard use.
This is purely anecdotal evidence, but I recently dropped my Kenwood TH-D72 onto concrete from a height of about 30". The knobs are a little banged up and there's a gouge in the case next to the display. Radio still works fine.

We're looking for front programmable 2m/70cm HT's with actual dual receive, which is why we didn't just get some chinese HT's and consider them disposable.
Among the Chinese dual-band handhelds, the Puxing PX-UV973 appears to have true dual-band receive.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm helping some friends replace their equipment and while a lot of HT's, like the Yaesu VX's and Kenwoods I've seen, are advertised as being shock-proof and water resistant I don't really know which actually are and will stand up to falls, jerks, and general hard use.

Anyone know of some models or lines that will actually stand up as well as claimed on the spec sheets? We're looking for front programmable 2m/70cm HT's with actual dual receive, which is why we didn't just get some chinese HT's and consider them disposable.

The yaesu vx6, and vx7 are indeed waterproof as long as plugs are in place.
I can vouch for the vx6r as being pretty damn stout since I have one. :wink:

n9zas

N4KVE

If you want a stout radio, look for a surplus Motorola radio. True, it won't be a dual band, or keypad programmable unless you spend lots of $, but it will be stout, & can take a beating. They can be found for under $100. Actually, the Yaesu FT277, & it's VHF twin are quite stout, as they are 1st cousin to their commercial line of Vertex radios.

Last edited:

KK4ELO

I had a vx-150 for several years that took everything i could throw at it. I believe its the ft-250 now iirc. I now have a kenwood th-f6 that is waiting to be repaired as 3 days after i got it, was knocked off of an end table and the sma connector broke clean off.

t0xPro-197

Premium Subscriber
i heard alot of ham opers say the Kenwood line and icom lines are pretty darn good.ive never owned one but they seem too know there stuff witch too me all ham opers know there stuff..just my 1cents worth

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I had a VX-6R fly off the roof of my SUV moving at 30-40 mph, bouncing down the highway. (I forgot that it was there.) The Yaesu cover -- fake leather? -- was scuffed. The radio and duck were fine. And if you keep the plugs in the extrernal jacks, no problems in rain or snow or knocking it into a sink filled with water. Recommended.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The Yaesu HT brand seems to be sturdy enough, but it all depends on how and where your friends will be using them their radios. The radios that are top of line durable are probably the kind of radios that the U.S armed forces use.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
The yaesu vx6, and vx7 are indeed waterproof as long as plugs are in place.
I can vouch for the vx6r as being pretty damn stout since I have one. :wink:

n9zas

I second this.. I have a vx6 and it is indeed waterproof.. I was helping at a mud run event at a ski area last week and went right through snow guns (pumping out water) and still held up fine. Feels pretty durable too, haven't dropped it yet but I'm confident it will hold up to a fall.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
My IC-92AD seems pretty rugged. I've not owned a Yaseu HT but their base stations are amazing. I'm going to have to look into a Yaseu HT.

Sent from my Funky EclipticRez v9

washburn830

We use Motorola MT2000's and XTS3000's where I work. I'm constantly amazed at what some people can do to a radio! Anything can be broken! But as far a reasonable ruggedness goes its been my experience that Yaesu's are generally built the most rugged of the ham radios. Followed by Icom, Alinco and Kenwood in that order.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but most of the current commercial ham gear is fairly rugged as long as you treat it as a piece of electronic equipment and not a hockey puck or hammer. Our motorola radios are so tough that the guys sometimes forget what they are for. I've seen guys walking down the hallway twirling the things by the antenna or using them to 'hammer' objects into place. Then they wine like babies when they break!

W9HQ

I agree with all of those who give the thumbs up to the VX-6R. Mine has taken a beating (and shows it) but still remains fully functional.

dksac2

For a lower priced duel band, the Yaesu FT-60 is built like a tank. It does not have the waterproofing the more expensive models do, but if your not near water, the FT-60 rocks.

John KF7VXA

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
While not dual band receive, can set the Ft-60 to dual watch or priority watch. Mine has also taken a beating on numerous occasions. I've had problems with Kenwoods and Icom being able to take a beating. The Kenwood TH-F6 has been the next most reliable. Even the VX-8 series, although the F6 and 8 have lousy volume. FT-150, 270 are also extremely reliable but not dual band. The TH-D7 seemed flimsy and didn't last in crash tests. Not sure how the TH-D72 will fair. Check eham.net might give more info. as well. But take some reviews with a grain of salt.

ButlerAlerts

I know they are chinese, but I love my Wouxun UV6D. I dropped it about 3-1/2 feet into direct concrete when standing by at our station, and it fell flat (Meaning LCD hitting the ground) and there was no damage to the outside, nor the outside. I know through our county you MUST use Motorola or Kenwood for the Public Safety field, but I still like my Woxun UV6D. Very affordable, and great quality with all of the bells and whistles attached.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
i heard alot of ham opers say the Kenwood line and icom lines are pretty darn good.

Depends... I have an Icom ICU-82. Nice radio, and I quite like it. Bit it's not really what I would classify as "durable". It's holding out ok, because I don't abuse it. But I wouldn't want to drop it on concrete, for example.

My APX7000 has hit the ground a couple of times (gasp!) and it's just shrugged it off. I'm not aware of any amateur grade dual banders that come anywhere close to that sort of durability. I think a better question might be which ones are particularly fragile, and avoid those.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I have a FT-270 (single band, VHF) that I love and is one of my only two non-Part 90 radios. Don't use it that often though. When I go skiing and there is actually a VHF repeater around I use it. Otherwise it's one of my UHF Part 90 radios. I did have an interesting skiing fall upon which I slid down the mountain for 30 yards or so on ice suing the FT-270 as a brake…still works fine.
E2C49110-6CDA-4AB4-BEA2-17A806CED64B-247-0000001F4D6EB025.jpg

Now, I have dropped a GP300 40ft and had it survive without an issue. Love my HT-750's…I have several Icom F4G's that didn't make narrowband that are great radios. Love my commercial stuff to death but as far as ruggedness goes, the Yaesu stuff seems to be pretty stout.

n6dlh

The VX-7R will indeed take a heck of a fall and is water resistant like it says. When I go camping I use my HTX-370s( Since i got rid of the VX-7R), it is a marine HT that is water proof and shock proof, it is part 90 approved and with the programming software and cable can be programed for 2 meter use. It has taken many high falls.

One of my buddies on the last camping trip left his radio on overnight, and set it in an empty small cooler. It poured down rain all night and when we got up in the morning it was submerged and still on. He pulled it out of the water and did a radio check, all was fine.

Some of the Part 90 HT's in the VHF bands are going cheap now days, may want to look at some of the Moto's, Icom, and VS radio's. They are built like tanks, and designed to take abuse.

KE5YOU

My Wouxon KG-VU3D has actually suprised me. It has taken numerous falls from about 3 feet onto hard surfaces and it still works fine. And all the Vertex/Yaesu HTs I've ever owned took a beating and kept on ticking. So yes some HTs are just as tough as they claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.