Radio-control software for FT-897???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
First off -- Apologies if this should be posted to a different forum. It didn't look like the any of software forums were appropriate for a question about ham radio software.

Anyway, Is there a good app for radio control? I have tried dx labs commander, ft-897 super control, and ham radio deluxe. I was able get the dx labs commander to work, sort of. I couldn't get ft-897 super control to work at all. Ham Radio Deluxe seems to be the most solid of the 3, and that's what I'm using now. The scanning is a little awkward, and I'd really like a slider control or dial or something to adjust rf/af volume, but it's not bad.... Just wondering if there' might be something better out there that folks are using.

Radio control is primary concern -- I'm not looking for dxing software, but something that could expedite call sign lookup might be helpful. Not a big deal tho, as it's easy enough look up calls from the web.

Any suggestions?

kc0kp

Keep in mind there are several features of the 817/857/897 radios that are not available for CAT control. One example is the TUNE menu item for the ATAS120. HRD in my experience does pretty much all that is available. It has been a while since I tried any of the others so they may have caught up.
Craig

Rastaman147

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I guess HRD is pretty much the only game in town. After using it for a couple weeks, I'm liking it more. I see that there are custom buttons, so maybe I can program the RF/AF to a custom button.

prcguy

The 857 can be completely remote controlled over the Internet via its own front panel by using Remote Rig boxes. The 897 and 817 cannot since the front panels are not removable.

This is obviously different than CAT control but no computers are needed to support the remote function, the radio operates as though its in front of you and it can be in another room on your internal house LAN or in another country via the Internet.
prcguy

Keep in mind there are several features of the 817/857/897 radios that are not available for CAT control. One example is the TUNE menu item for the ATAS120. HRD in my experience does pretty much all that is available. It has been a while since I tried any of the others so they may have caught up.
Craig

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have tried dx labs commander, ft-897 super control, and ham radio deluxe. I was able get the dx labs commander to work, sort of.
I'm a novice with DX Lab Commander, so I don't know how much help I would be. That said, what problems were you having with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.