TK-790/890 vs. TM-V71A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wradar

Good morning, all!

I have a dual TK-790/890 remote-mount set-up in my Tacoma, and am looking to transfer it into a Durango. The Durango has a lot less space in out-of-view spots for the giant TK transceiver main units. The TM-V71A seems like a viable replacement that has a lot less of a footprint for its main unit. The issue I'm having is this: what is the benefit to the TK (commercial) set-up over the TM (ham) rig?

I primarily use the commercial set-up for fire and emergency service comms (my job), but am aware of the TM-V71A's out-of-band mods. It sounds like it would still fit my needs, as I only rarely use ham freq's.

Any significant difference in capabilities between these two set-ups? I presume durability will be an issue with the TM, but are there any other concerns?

Thanks for the feedback!
-Will

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Stick with the TK's. Ham gear is not certified for LMR use. If space is an issue, your only other option is an APX to have dual band in a single brick. Or hold off and buy a dual brick single head NX-5000, they are not for sale yet, but will have a smaller footprint than the 7/890 set up.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If you are in the US, the TM-V71A is not type accepted (not legal) for the Part 90 (Fire, EMS, etc).

While I can't say for certain, I'd wager the 790/890 have a better (more sensitive and/or selective) receiver as well.
I know my TM-V71A (which I use for ham use) gets hit with paging intermod when I'm in urban areas.

wradar

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm aware of the type certification concerns, but was looking for any concerns aside from those.

I hadn't heard about the NX-5000s. They look interesting, though, considering they're dual-CAI, I doubt they'll be an inexpensive option any time soon. ;)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm aware of the type certification concerns, but was looking for any concerns aside from those.

I hadn't heard about the NX-5000s. They look interesting, though, considering they're dual-CAI, I doubt they'll be an inexpensive option any time soon. ;)
Then you should also know that the TM-V71a does not properly do the required steps for splinter frequencies on VHF as well... just stick with LMR gear. Less problems that way.

cabletech

Also, the TM-V71 does NOT do the 12.5 narrow band, sooo even if it WAS type accepted for commercial use, it would not meet the narrow band rules.

wradar

Ah, thanks. The narrow band stuff has been an option in commercial radios for so long, I forgot to even check if it was in the specs on the TM-V71. Appreciate the input!

mrweather

Given your intended use stick with the 90 Series gear. Putting aside the legalities, the commercial gear is simply more durable/robust than the ham-grade stuff.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ah, thanks. The narrow band stuff has been an option in commercial radios for so long, I forgot to even check if it was in the specs on the TM-V71. Appreciate the input!

Even if it does do 2.5KHz deviation, it likely lacks the proper filtering. Regardless, you are still risking your agencies licenses by using un-approved equipment on their systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The 90 series will run circles around the V71A, all certifications aside. The V71A is a great HAM radio, but it is a well built TOY. Your TK-790/890 setup are professional grade TOOLS and have superior front ends with superb filtering, more stable TCXOs, and are superbly built.

The V71A has no "O-ring" on it's control head surfaces like the 90 series. The V71A has no reinforcements on it's body to absorb shock and vibration.

Stick with your 90 series, not just because they are legal for part 90, but they are a much higher class of radio. Think of the V71A as a Hyundai Accent and the 90 series as a Genesis. That much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.