Icom: IC7100 Interface With RS-BA1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allandunn

I am trying to interface my IC-7100 to the RS-BA1 remote software from Icom. I have the local software talking to my rig via Windows XP. But I run into two problems if I turn off the software or even exit it completely.

First the IC-7100 microphone no longer connects to the IC-7100 unless I go back through the RS-BA1.

Secondly and worse, I can no longer operate the IC-7100 from memory mode. The software (even when exited) insists on resetting the IC-7100 to VFO mode. I have a lot of memories dedicated to D-Star operation, and none of them are accessible. And of course I cannot talk on D-Star as the microphone does not work (as above).

What are my work arounds?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You wrote, "...the IC-7100 microphone no longer connects to the IC-7100". Does that mean PTT is not working? Are you using the DATA-2 USB interface on the 7100? If so, the website below (Mike Mercury Ham Radio Page) says that PTT is ignored on that interface unless the 7100 is in the "FM-D" mode. Scroll down the web page to see a screenshot:
Mike Mercury Ham Radio Page - Icom IC-7100
There may be something on the page that would provide a clue as to what's going on. I don't have a 7100 to try it with (yet).

allandunn

I have not even tried FM mode yet. Just SSB and DV. As I recall the PTT works fine, but the audio is routed differently. But just in case I don't recall correctly I will double check the PTT.

I went to the link and found it interesting, but not the answer, Butit did show I do need to study the manual a bit more.

As far as your not having an IC-7100 yet, I say get one as soon as you can afford it. I love mine.

Allan

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I ran into both of these, but kept tinkering until I got around them.

You can have "USB" or "USB-D". How they act is determined in Set, Connectors. I have "DATA OFF MOD" mode set to MIC, ACC. I have "DATA MOD" set to USB for the USB cable. Touch USB on the top of the display to toggle data on/off. When on, the mode is displayed as USB-D and the microphone does not work. It keys, but no modulation.

So in summary, assuming you set yours the same way, this will be what work when using upper sideband:
Data Mode (USB cable to computer) = USB-D
Voice Mode (Microphone) = USB

I do not remember how I got out of the "stuck in VFO" mode. If I run into it again, I will post here if I figure out how to get back out of it.

I will read the manual as a last resort. lol

Last edited:

allandunn

Thank you for your post. Late last night I had figured out the first half of that, and the microphone again worked. I had previously changed that command to USB in a failed attempt to connect an external GPS, but had not set it back until last night. Then I was too exhausted to fire up the RS-BA1 software to try it. From what you say that probably would not have worked without the second set command you gave.

I saw these menu items in the manual, but had no idea how they worked. There is nothing in the manual that I have found that shows the purpose of the USB-D feature, and the NOMOD and MOD mentions in Chapter 17 of the manual made no sense. I think I am starting to catch on..

Thank you for your insight.

de k1ucy

allandunn

What I have obwerved today is that the RS-BA1 software sets the Data Off Mod to USB instead of leaving it on mic,acc. When I turn off the power button on the software, the radio turns off, too. When I turn it back on, the setup is the same as when powered down which leaves the microphone in the wrong state. I have to use the Set Connectors commands to restore the microphone. A nuiscance but it does work.

The RS-BA1 does not attempt to reproduce the IC-7100 memories, but instead uses its own methods. Operating the software does not allow manual memory changes on the IC-7100, but certain sequences such as turning off the remote use of the software (which I have yet to use, but will) keeps the memory mode working, but the Data Off Mod has to be restored manually to get the microphone working.

A lot more reading is necessary..

de k1ucy

allandunn

RSI-BA1 Interface Audio Problems

After a long wait, I resumed interfacing RS-BA1 to my IC-7100. The computer now is a HP laptop running Win10. I cannot get any audio into this server computer no less to the client. I use a Rig Blaster Advantage sound card, but the problem exists even when using the computer sound card.

All connections are via USB. That is from the rig to the server computer, and from the Advantage to the server computer. The set commands in the IC-7100 are for USB input, but nothing works.

Without the radio connected to the computer, I can play a music CD through the computer speakers. But as soon as I plug the radio into a USB input, the drivers change blocking the CD audio. I feel this is a hint to why I cannot get audio into the computer.

All help is welcome

de k1ucy

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think you need the RigBlaster Advantage. The IC-7100 has an internal USB sound card. Did you install the Icom USB driver in your computer before you connected the radio to the computer?

Beyond that, you may want to contact Icom Tech Support. For what you paid for the radio and the RS-BA1 software, they should be able to help you.

allandunn

Icom IC7100 Interface With RS-BA1

I have been using the Rig Blaster Advantage for JT-65 qso's for more than two years. I did not realize the IC-7100 had one built in. No problems using it with vox control.

As to the Icom driver, it has been installed with the radio not connected to the computer per Icom instructions. I suspect this driver is diverting audio elsewhere as it changes when the radio is connected to the computer via a USB port.

Tnx for your reply.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If someone has come up with a way to do JT-65 or AX.25 packet with the internal sound card in the 7100 there would likely be widespread interest. FLDIGI and similar software is great with most digital modes, but JT-65 and AX.25 are two modes not available. As allandunn wrote, he uses a Rig Blaster external modem. I believe the Signalink external modem will also handle those modes. An external modem is needed with the IC-7100 for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.