Kenwood: Kenwood TS2000 Intermittent Memory Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance

Feed Provider
Hello,

I have a Kenwood TS 2000 purchased in 2004. It functions fine except for every once in a while it will resort to a factory reset when turning on the power supply. There seems to be no constant, sometimes going just a few minutes to several weeks.

As long as power is supplied, it will not lose its settings. In other words, I can turn the radio off and on just fine and never experience a random factory reset. But as soon as I cut power to the radio there's a chance it will do a factory reset.

Typically in such a case, you would replace a lithium battery. That's not the case with a TS 2000. It does have an internal battery, but that's limited to the TNC settings.

I figured maybe some kind of corruption was causing it to reset. Upgraded to the latest firmware with no relief.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Anything to try.

Thanks,

Chance KC5EOK

AC2OY

I need to ask you fellow TS-2000 owners a few questions if I may. I can send you guys pm's if that's ok not to hijack this thread.

N3GTY

Kenwood TS-2000 intermittent Memory Loss

Hello for those who were wondering how some Kenwood TS-2000 looses memory. This I have found is due to the CAT interface when the rig is off and the computer that it is attached to keys the rig, even though it is not turned on sending a signal to the rig which does a reset. So what I have found to bypass this issue is to make sure the radio is on prior to booting the computer. This solved my problem with the TS-2000 Memory Reset.I have a USB to serial adapter for my serial interface on the rig and when it is initialized on booting my PC it keys my home brew sound card interface which is USB to serial and the Rig which is also USB to Serial I have not tested this with a true Serial Port as I do not have one on my computer. 73 for now de N3GTY Bill

N3GTY

Update on Memory Reset Issue

Hello for those who were wondering how some Kenwood TS-2000 looses memory. This I have found is due to the CAT interface when the rig is off and the computer that it is attached to keys the rig, even though it is not turned on sending a signal to the rig which does a reset. So what I have found to bypass this issue is to make sure the radio is on prior to booting the computer. This solved my problem with the TS-2000 Memory Reset.I have a USB to serial adapter for my serial interface on the rig and when it is initialized on booting my PC it keys my home brew sound card interface which is USB to serial and the Rig which is also USB to Serial I have not tested this with a true Serial Port as I do not have one on my computer. 73 for now de N3GTY Bill

Hello Update on this problem a friend has a laptop with a serial port on it came over to my shack and we tested the TS-2000 with USB to Serial and a pure Serial port... seems that the USB to Serial adapter is the culprit with the Rig turned off booting the laptop with the USB to Serial adapter we had a memory reset every time. When we connect to the true serial port seems there was no memory reset. I hope this is of some interest to someone 73 for now Bill

Chance

Feed Provider
Problem resurfaced

Shortly after first starting this thread in 2015, I sent the unit to Kenwood for repair. I received a call from a service person saying that he could not duplicate the issue but would hang onto it for another week. Eventually he witnessed the issue. The processor was replaced along with a few other parts. $200 or so plus the $50 shipping. It's worked perfectly since being returned, until this evening.

This will now be the third trip back to Kenwood if I choose to get it repaired. I see the TS-2000 was just discontinued and no replacement model is out yet.

On one hand $1,500 in 2004 was paid for a computer that lasted 3 years until obsolete... But on the other hand I am sure disappointed by the number of problems I've seen from this model.

nanZor

I don't remember where I found it, but waaay back I was reading how about *some* of the 13.8v DC cable pins for my 2000 were not actually making good contact with each other, and the resultant quick voltage-drop from that caused problems even just powering on.

So I did notice a bit more play in my cable, and made doubly sure it was totally seated. I made sure that when I pushed it in, it more or less hit the backstop well after the snaps closed, and I positioned the cable to keep it straight for a few inches, rather than having it tugged down or sideways.

A small shot of de-oxit was applied for good measure.

I know it's a long-shot, and many have suggested checking / reinserting fuses and the like, but maybe check that main connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.