Looking for handheld with full duplex capabity/decent front end and display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Om_Audio

I am looking for the following in a handheld:

-Good front end selectivity/sensitivity under moderate/high RF conditions.
-Full duplex (cross band is fine- for use with rptr systems)
-Display visible in daylight without backlight
-$300 or lower cost

I have tried the Wouxun KG-UV8D and it failed. Feedback while duplexing even with earpiece, display BLACK in daylight without backlight, front end 100% underwhelming.

Options I may have found so far:
- (possibly)Yaesu FT-1DR (poor reviews of interface- no vol/sq access outside of menus etc)
- Yaesu FT-51r - Yaesu FT-51R Amateur HT, Yaesu FT51R

Any suggestions appreciated-
Clifford

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The Icom ID-51AD comes to mind, I've owned one, it's got a great front end, a good display, even if you don't need D-star, it's an excellent analog radio.
A bit pricey but I see them used for under $400.

I would stay away from a 20 year old radio like the Yaesu FT-51, no longer supported, getting batteries is difficult enough let alone if something breaks, you've got a nice doorstop.

prcguy

I had a UV-8D and was not happy with its cross band repeat and the receiver desensed noticeably a high RF environment. I bought an Anytone AT-3318UV-E and am thrilled with its receiver performance in the same high RF areas where the UV-8D failed and its cross band repeat is very good. What part of LA are you in?
prcguy

Om_Audio

I am in Venice. I am really surprised the AnyTone performs better as it appears to be just another Chinese radio. (I love my BF aside from front end performance) That is good news. Does your AT support full duplex?
Thx
C

I had a UV-8D and was not happy with its cross band repeat and the receiver desensed noticeably a high RF environment. I bought an Anytone AT-3318UV-E and am thrilled with its receiver performance in the same high RF areas where the UV-8D failed and its cross band repeat is very good. What part of LA are you in?
prcguy

prcguy

I'm about 15mi south of you if you want to check one out. The dual band D version and tri band E version do cross band repeat but not traditional full duplex transcieve as the speaker audio would get into the mic. I've had many Baofeng and Wouxun radios and this Anytone is light years ahead in performance and features that are more what a US consumer would want instead of silly or useless features.
prcguy

I am in Venice. I am really surprised the AnyTone performs better as it appears to be just another Chinese radio. (I love my BF aside from front end performance) That is good news. Does your AT support full duplex?
Thx
C

Om_Audio

No duplex, really? I would assume you would have to use an earpiece just like on the UV8D to duplex.

The item describes:
"You can receive two signals at the same time; you can even transmit and scan (or receive) at the same time! "
Thanks for the offer, I will look you up on QRZ and contact you via email. I would love to try it out regardless.
Err no I won't, no call sign for you that I can see.
C

I'm about 15mi south of you if you want to check one out. The dual band D version and tri band E version do cross band repeat but not traditional full duplex transcieve as the speaker audio would get into the mic. I've had many Baofeng and Wouxun radios and this Anytone is light years ahead in performance and features that are more what a US consumer would want instead of silly or useless features.
prcguy

prcguy

PM me for contact info.
prcguy

No duplex, really? I would assume you would have to use an earpiece just like on the UV8D to duplex.

The item describes:
"You can receive two signals at the same time; you can even transmit and scan (or receive) at the same time! "
Thanks for the offer, I will look you up on QRZ and contact you via email. I would love to try it out regardless.
C

Token

The item describes:
C

You might want to look at the difference between full duplex and half duplex. As far as I know no FM hand held does honest full duplex, simply receiving on one frequency while transmitting on another does not make something full duplex. A pair of half duplex FM radios can be set up for a full duplex network, but that does not make either hand held, on its own, full duplex.

T!

Om_Audio

Hi thanks,
I know what full duplex is and there are plenty of radios that do it. I am returning a Wouxun FG-UV8D that has full dupex but feeds back unless you use specific earpieces.

Which Full Duplex HT?

C

You might want to look at the difference between full duplex and half duplex. As far as I know no FM hand held does honest full duplex, simply receiving on one frequency while transmitting on another does not make something full duplex. A pair of half duplex FM radios can be set up for a full duplex network, but that does not make either hand held, on its own, full duplex.

T!

mrweather

As far as I know no FM hand held does honest full duplex, simply receiving on one frequency while transmitting on another does not make something full duplex.
I'm not aware of anything currently on the market but the Icom IC-W32A had true full-duplex, i.e. you could transmit and receive simultaneously. I believe it was a feature for amateur satellite work so you could listen to your transmitted audio and adjust for Doppler shift.

WyoDuner

A lot more than $300, but the Kenwood TH-D72A is full duplex and is a high quality radio. I guess the question I would ask is what is the intended purpose? I have the KG-UV8D, Anytone Tech TERMN-8R and Kenwood TH-72A, BTW. The Kenwood was bought for APRS and full duplex on FM satellite capabilite. The Kenwood does not do cross-band repeat.

Meestor_X

I know this is an old thread, but I too am looking for a reasonably priced full-duplex radio.
Has anyone tried the Wouxun KG-UV9D (plus)?
What I'm looking for is a full-duplex radio system (without a repeater) for "cell phone-like" conversation between 2 parties. I know that there are purpose-built products for that, but I also want the other features of 2-way radios. Doesn't matter to me if a headset/earbud system is required.
Oh, I'm looking for analog (no latency), so ICOM's WiFI product is not suitable.

Thanks!

Om_Audio

Again, as linked above there are plenty to choose from- not sure how many are currently in production:
Which Full Duplex HT?

After posting in this thread in 03/2015 I bought an AnyTone TERMN-8R and does FD great but feeds back like the Wouxun. A simple 2.5" male to 3.5" female mono adapter for the speaker/headphone jack allows perfect full duplex w/o using the internal speaker. I use earbuds or headphones. My guess is the Wouxun you inquired about would work FD w same adapter setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...qid=1502823983&sr=8-8&keywords=2.5mm+to+3.5mm

incomplete list:
HT's
Icom IC-W2A
Icom W31A
Icom IC-W32
Yaesu FT-470
Yaesu FT-530
Yaesu FT-50R
Yaesu FR-51R
Yaesu VX-7R
Kenwood TH-77
Kenwood TH-78
Alinco DJ-G5T
Alinco DJ-580T
kenwood th-76a (actually can be held just like a phone)

Mobiles:
Kenwood TM741
Kenwood TM742
Kenwood TM941
Kenwood TM942
Kenwood TM732
Yaesu FT-5100
Yaesu FT-5200
Yaesu FT-8800
Yaesu FT-8900
Icom 2728H
Icom IC2800

Base:
Yaesu FT-736
Yaesu FT-847
Kenwood TS-2000
Icom 820
Icom 821
Icom IC-910H

byndhlptom

Full duplex handheld

The older ICOM 32AT was full duplex (VHF/UHF). Worked great with one way cross band mobile, just a little weird hearing yourself on a repeater with a short delay.

They are pretty old now....

Meestor_X

Again, as linked above there are plenty to choose from- not sure how many are currently in production:
Which Full Duplex HT?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm looking for a NEW HT. None of the products in that list (AFAIK) are still manufactured.

After posting in this thread in 03/2015 I bought an AnyTone TERMN-8R and does FD great but feeds back like the Wouxun. A simple 2.5" male to 3.5" female mono adapter for the speaker/headphone jack allows perfect full duplex w/o using the internal speaker. I use earbuds or headphones. My guess is the Wouxun you inquired about would work FD w same adapter setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...qid=1502823983&sr=8-8&keywords=2.5mm+to+3.5mm
Good info, thank you.
Hopefully someone that's tried the Wouxun will chime in.
The AnyTone product seems ok but the Wouxun seems to have more capabilities and features.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not going to go through the list of all currently-produced amateur radio handhelds to list the ones that will do full duplex, but I know that the Kenwood TH-D72 (likely to be discontinued soon) and TH-D74 will simultaneously receive on one band and transmit on the other. You aren't likely to find any radio that will simultaneously receive and transmit on the same band since that requires a duplexer.

Meestor_X

I'm not going to go through the list of all currently-produced amateur radio handhelds to list the ones that will do full duplex, but I know that the Kenwood TH-D72 (likely to be discontinued soon) and TH-D74 will simultaneously receive on one band and transmit on the other.
Excuse my ignorance, but are those analog radios?
You aren't likely to find any radio that will simultaneously receive and transmit on the same band since that requires a duplexer.
Of course. Full Duplex requires 2 frequencies. Goes without saying.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You aren't likely to find any radio that will simultaneously receive and transmit on the same band since that requires a duplexer.

I can think of some which can handle full duplex calls in-band without a duplexer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Excuse my ignorance, but are those analog radios?

Yes, the Kenwood models are analog.

Of course. Full Duplex requires 2 frequencies. Goes without saying.

It requires two different frequency bands, in most cases, or the filtering required would not be easily handheld.

Look at what is made for the drive-thru restaurant industry, as that is one of the few places that utilizes full duplex. Hobbyist, nor LMR, radios will not meet that requirement you seek.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.