hand held HF/VHF/UHF tranciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not sure where this goes (sorry guys). Does any one know of a hand held tranciever that can transmit on HF, VHF, and UHF? I have a Yaesu FT817 already and was curious if there was any thing else out there. If not is there a VHF/UHF tranciever that can recieve on HF in SSB.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I'm not aware of any handheld that will TX on HF but the Kenwood TH-F6A is a 2m/1.25m/70cm HT that will also RX HF with SSB: Kenwood TH-F6A Amateur Radio HT THF6

I have no experience with it though so will have to let others share their experiences (or I'm sure it's been talked about in previous threads).

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
No, there are no HF HT's, for several reasons.

First, a 1/4 wave vertical on the 75 meter band, for example, is about 62 feet high. In addition, it would require radials of the same length to function properly. Your body makes a decent ground plane at UHF frequencies, but is woefully deficient at lower frequencies.

On the HF bands, there is a great deal of atmospheric noise, and most signals are SSB. To really work these bands, several controls are needed, like IF shift, clarifiers, DSP, noise blankers, speech processor, and on and on. There is no way you could fit all those knobs and electronics into an HT.

Delta

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
The Yaesu FT-817ND may be an option. It is a small mobile that runs on batteries. It was designed to work in a backpack, fanny pack, and/or carry with supplied carry strap. It is about the size of two long handheld radios.

Coverage
TX: 160 - 10 Meters, 50 MHz, 144 MHz, 430-450 MHz, plus Alaska Emergency Channel (5167.5 kHz).
RX: 100 kHz - 56 MHz; 76 - 154 MHz; 420 - 470 MHz.

Yaesu FT-817ND

http://www.powerportstore.com/Yaesu FT817 ACC.htm

http://www.powerportstore.com/antennas.htm

Pictures below are the FT-817 and a carrying option.

Attachments

• ft-817.jpg
    ft-817.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 609
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Worldpouch TOP OF PAGE.jpg
    Worldpouch TOP OF PAGE.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:

prcguy

There has been many HF handhelds over the years from Mizuho, Tokyo Hi Power and others. These have been offered in 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m and 6m combinations and are true handhelds and about the size of an old Icom IC2A 2m handheld.

The Elecraft KX3 can almost be considered a handheld with its internal AA batteries and I've used mine held in hand on 80m with a multiband tapped 6ft whip right on the rig just like you would use a CB handheld. My KX3 has the optional 2m board so it meets part of the criteria being an HF and VHF handheld.
prcguy

First, a 1/4 wave vertical on the 75 meter band, for example, is about 62 feet high. In addition, it would require radials of the same length to function properly. Your body makes a decent ground plane at UHF frequencies, but is woefully deficient at lower frequencies.

On the HF bands, there is a great deal of atmospheric noise, and most signals are SSB. To really work these bands, several controls are needed, like IF shift, clarifiers, DSP, noise blankers, speech processor, and on and on. There is no way you could fit all those knobs and electronics into an HT.

Delta

treborx

I would think a KX3 or 817 would be considered a walkie talkie but the even the most compact whip would be large and not well grounded.

prcguy

And another thing and I don't know why this escaped me until now. The very first HT or "walki talki" ever fielded in large numbers was the BC-611/SCR-526 in about 1941 which operated on or around 80m with less than a watt and used a 3 to 4ft pull out antenna with no counterpoise. It was a true self contained HT on 80m.

I've personally done over 20mi with a self contained BC-611 from my house to a friend on a ship off the coast using whatever antenna they had on the ship. BTW the BC-611 is AM mode only.
prcguy

Delta

treborx

If it is all in your hand, then it is a Handy Talkie. It is only a Walkie-Talkie if it is on your back. True people call HT's Walkie Talkie, but that is like calling a rifle magazine a "clip" when a clip is really something different.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
There is in fact a true HF HT made by Youkits. It's the TJ2B:

http://www.youkits.com

So far this the only YouTube video I can find with this unit actually transmitting, most seem to be just demonstrating reception!

http://youtu.be/Jz-ZEEoij-k

It can be made as a kit (not recommended if you aren't an expert kit builder IMHO), or you can order it built!

73 de W4PKR
Jim

prcguy

Where did you get this info? Handi Talki or HT is a registered trademark of Motorola and that's become a general term for a hand held radio like the Crescent Tool company adjustable wrench becoming a general term for an adjustable wrench.

Walki Talki has always been a general term for a hand held transceiver and nothing to do with a radio on your back. A radio on on your back is generally referred to as a Man Pack and these terms date back to at least the 1950s.
prcguy

If it is all in your hand, then it is a Handy Talkie. It is only a Walkie-Talkie if it is on your back. True people call HT's Walkie Talkie, but that is like calling a rifle magazine a "clip" when a clip is really something different.

TheSpaceMann

Would you consider converting a handheld 11 meter walkie talkie to 10 meters? I believe a few of them had SSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.