Yaesu: Need help with my ft7900r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmack222

Hey, I'm very new to this and just after a bit of help with my yaesu ft 7900.
I brought it to go in my vehicle but when I try and transmit on the standard uhf ch 40 (477400) it come up error.
I'm guessing it may be outside of the transmitting frequency?
If that's the case, is there any way to make it so I can transmit on ch40 (the main reason I got it in the first place.

I haven't got my licence yet as there isn't anywhere nearby to do it. But I will when I get a chance.

My first radio was a baofeng uv5r. It can transmit on ch40 no worries. I was under the impression that the yaesu would have the same capabilitys.

Any help would me greatly appreciated

mrweather

That frequency is outside of the factory transmit range of the FT-7900 which is why it gave you an error.

There are mods you can do to the radio to "open it up" but I honestly don't know how it's done.

N8IAA

Yeah, the FT-7900 is made to operate in the 144MHz and 440MHz ham bands.
Are you in the land of OZ? If you are, you may want to post in the Australian forum further down the forums page.
You may want to sell that radio and get one of the cheap Chinese dual band radios that go out of band to those frequencies.
Larry

D

DaveNF2G

You probably should have bought the FT-7900E instead of the R version.

mrweather

Don't think that would help with trying to transmit at 470 MHz.

And yes, the OP sounds like he/she is from Australia.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Already transmitted without a license? Hum. Not sure if it is legal to transmit with FT7900 out of ham bands in Australia, but with refering to Channel 40, sounds like Australian CB. And if the FT7900 is illegally transmitted out of band, that high in frequency, I wonder what the SWR or power outpur would be. Not sure what the power limits are for Australia. But would be wise to check SWR and legalities.

Cmack222

From what I understand, as long as you don't go over 5 watts (which I don't intend to) it's fine.
Do you know if there is any way to unlock the radio so I can transmit on that frequency?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Can't comment on the legalities of mods to an amateur radio and then transmitting on it in Australia. Should note that these amateur radios may be out of spec. outside the bands they are intended to transmit on, that is 2 m and 70 cms. This could cause interference to other licensed users on the VHF and UHF frequencies. If you are getting your license, then ask the amateur radio operators their about using a modified amateur radio out of bands, especially on CB as Australia may only approve some radios to operate on their CB band.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Are you kidding. CB CH 40 is 27.405 MHz. There is no such thing as VHF or UHF Channels. Boafeng memory 40 maybe something they did. This is a Chinese radio. There are no channels on Amateur 2meter or 70cm bands. Boafeng and Wouxun are being reviewed by the FCC. Radios that were submitted for FCC for approval are not in the format of what has been coming into the country. They maybe fined or banded from importing into the USA. For example the Wouxun 950 operates at 9.5 watts in cb band and actually 1 Khz off. There are higher power radios but are imports brought into the country illegally. The FCC has been reviewing but not been cracking down but it is just a matter of time. CB max 5watts into finals typical 4 watts rms out. Your Boafeng is not approved for use in the CB Band. Your Yaesu complies with FCC regulations and will not operate out of band. Yaesu will not invite the FCC to come down on them. They have been selling amateur radios probably longer that you have been alive. 70cm band in USA 420-450mhz modulation must be in band limits. Your Boafeng has been modified to operate in the EU Band.
The USA 70cm amateur band is 420-450mhz in the USA. Transmitting at 477.400 is in the public safety band. Interference in the public safety band is inviting jail time!!!!. This is no joke. FCC will crack down ASAP. Illegal operation in the CB band is pretty much ignored most of the time. They go around every five years or so and make an example of a few people. They rotate to different areas. There is a different group that responds immediately to interference in public safety band (Police,fire,ambulance,hospitals,rescue, etc) . God help you because the Federal Judge will hammer you.
Illegal operation and interference in the amateur radio bands is self policed by the amateur radio operators associations. You would know this if you were licensed. Amateurs report malicious mischief to their local FCC volunteer coordinator who reviews it. They maintain directional equipment in their mobile vehicles , they id and build a case against the offender. They practice these skills with fox hunting contests. They rarely approach the illegal operator this according to FCC rules. The evidence is turned over to the FCC. The FCC no longer polices the bands like they used too giving out minor fines and warning. Now the fines are very heavy. The last fine I know of recently was for $2500 for not Iding every ten minutes. Ouch - check it out for yourself. You'll never know what hit you.
Many States and counties in the USA have laws against having scanners and transceivers in cars. Federal Law supersedes the reserve laws of the state and county. Licensed amateurs have been ruled to be allowed to have these radios in the car. Never the less they have been arrested and fined and had to go to federal court to seek relief. Fines for not using hands free operation stick. If you are pulled over you have no license and no recourse. Amateur operators like myself welcome you to the hobby and want you as a member of the community and will help you get your ticket anyway they can. Protect yourself and your future privileges get your ticket ASAP.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Are you kidding. CB CH 40 is 27.405 MHz. There is no such thing as VHF or UHF Channels. Boafeng memory 40 maybe something they did. This is a Chinese radio. There are no channels on Amateur 2meter or 70cm bands. Boafeng and Wouxun are being reviewed by the FCC. Radios that were submitted for FCC for approval are not in the format of what has been coming into the country. They maybe fined or banded from importing into the USA. For example the Wouxun 950 operates at 9.5 watts in cb band and actually 1 Khz off. There are higher power radios but are imports brought into the country illegally. The FCC has been reviewing but not been cracking down but it is just a matter of time. CB max 5watts into finals typical 4 watts rms out. Your Boafeng is not approved for use in the CB Band. Your Yaesu complies with FCC regulations and will not operate out of band. Yaesu will not invite the FCC to come down on them. They have been selling amateur radios probably longer that you have been alive. 70cm band in USA 420-450mhz modulation must be in band limits. Your Boafeng has been modified to operate in the EU Band.

The USA 70cm amateur band is 420-450mhz in the USA. Transmitting at 477.400 is in the public safety band. Interference in the public safety band is inviting jail time!!!!. This is no joke. FCC will crack down ASAP. Illegal operation in the CB band is pretty much ignored most of the time. They go around every five years or so and make an example of a few people. They rotate to different areas. There is a different group that responds immediately to interference in public safety band (Police,fire,ambulance,hospitals,rescue, etc) . God help you because the Federal Judge will hammer you.

Illegal operation and interference in the amateur radio bands is self policed by the amateur radio operators associations. You would know this if you were licensed. Amateurs report malicious mischief to their local FCC volunteer coordinator who reviews it. They maintain directional equipment in their mobile vehicles , they id and build a case against the offender. They practice these skills with fox hunting contests. They rarely approach the illegal operator this according to FCC rules. The evidence is turned over to the FCC. The FCC no longer polices the bands like they used too giving out minor fines and warning. Now the fines are very heavy. The last fine I know of recently was for $2500 for not Iding every ten minutes. Ouch - check it out for yourself. You'll never know what hit you.

Many States and counties in the USA have laws against having scanners and transceivers in cars. Federal Law supersedes the reserve laws of the state and county. Licensed amateurs have been ruled to be allowed to have these radios in the car. Never the less they have been arrested and fined and had to go to federal court to seek relief. Fines for not using hands free operation stick. If you are pulled over you have no license and no recourse. Amateur operators like myself welcome you to the hobby and want you as a member of the community and will help you get your ticket anyway they can. Protect yourself and your future privileges get your ticket ASAP.

Uh take a look at what frequency he was trying to transmit on... It is AUSTRALIAN CB not North American CB as others have figured out... The FCC has ZERO jurisdiction where the OP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.