Need a new Dual Band HAM Handheld - What would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Im a HAM and have had some dual banders in the past such as Yaesu VX5 and VX7R etc, but have gotten rid of them as I prefer Motorola handhelds and mobiles.

I might be embarking on an extended trip statewide and will need easy access to ham repeaters and other frequencies to dial in - if you were purchasing a new handheld today what would you buy?

Thanks very much guys! Ive been out of the HAM game for a few years and not sure what the hot setup is right now. Thanks!

Oh, cost not much of a concern.

teufler

well, unless you carry a computer with you, a Motorola whatever is not flexible to programming on the fly If you ar not interested in aprs, from a handheld, this will rule out a top line yaesu, vx8. There are some multi mode digital analog radios from yaesu, but if there are only a few repeaters in your area, they can be a waste of money. Down in Texas, they are DMR repeaters showing up, this would d be something to think about. If you want a radio that talks good, has high power,8+ watts, and a big battery, 3500 mah , then its radio that is at the opposite of the price spectrum. A Baofeng f8HP. The radio works, transmits and receives good, has some features that that the ham big three havn't put in there radios yet, Many hams have bought Chinese imports and most have had excellent luck..Now if cost is not much of a concern, go with Motorola and learn to live with the lack of a vfo, or field programmable.

KJ6HCB

Thanks for the reply - my need for the quick on the fly stuff means Yaesu or ICOM I figured most likely, which is why I made the post. This will be used out hiking in the backcountry on firegrounds... just not too excited about having a Baofeung lol.

Maybe one of those Icom ID-51A or similar perhaps? This will be mostly to communicate with locals in areas unfamiliar to me throughout CA so some analog and possibly some digital.

FKimble

The good old (still in production) FT-60 Yaesu. Rugged, plenty of accessories, several different power batteries avail. Uses same battery as some commercial Vertex radios. AA battery holder available for alkalines or NiMh batteries. Dual band and has 1000(1K) memories. Can pre-program in a "lot" of repeaters. Still the best bang for the bucks at $150.00, in my opinion.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you ar not interested in aprs, from a handheld, this will rule out a top line yaesu, vx8.
You can still buy and enjoy a Yaesu VX-8DR or Kenwood TH-D72 even if you aren't interested in APRS. Both of these radios will function just fine with the APRS features turned off.

Same can be said for the Icom ID-51A. You can use it as a purely analog handheld without activating the D-Star features.

Granted, buying more radio than you plan to use might not be a cost-effective answer.

I will third the recommendation for the Yaesu FT-60. Good solid radio. Good user interface. They retail for around $150 so the price is affordable.

If small size is a benefit, the Kenwood TH-F6A is a candidate. It has the added plus of being able to receive FM and AM broadcast radio in addition to the ham bands. The user interface is good, but the buttons are a little small for large hands.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
...quick on the fly stuff... and possibly some digital.
So digital capability or not? It's a major differentiator in your choices. And in my experience there is nothing "quick" or "on the fly" about digital at this time in amateur radio.

SCPD

QRT
Kenwood Th-F6

The Kenwood Th-F6a 144/220/440 mhz ht,due to having three bands,wideband reception,capable of long QSOs unlike the Yaesu Vx-8R which overheats and says HOT and shuts off,dont get me wrong I love Yaesu,but the CPU issues and heat problems make them not good for people that are long talkers....The F6 comes with a 2000mah battery,so the biggest accessory you may need is a DC mobile cord for car use.The chinese crap radios like Baofeng,Wouxun and Pofung all are terrible receivers,have random problems like worn keypads and SMA connectors that break after a few months of use(my friend's the center pin broke clear off inside)(mine had intermittent issues).The kenwood F6 will last unlike the other radios,my friend had one for 7 years and it still works.I had one for 2 so far,so good.
Get a Kenwood for loud,clear transmit and something that will last you.

I also give a vote to the Ft60,seems like a nice radio,doesnt come with a big battery but has nice transmit audio,dont know if it has overheat problems though,never owned one.I have spoke with a guy who owned one and he was able to keep up with my long windedness...

Last edited:

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
I have the Yaesu VX-8DR, Icom ID-51a and Baofeng F8HP. My VX8DR is usually my go to radio because of the APRS functionality. If I'm in a situation where I can carry 3 rigs and I'm within range of a D-STAR repeater, then the Icom also comes with me. I always have my Baofeng as a backup. My 2p on the Baofeng is that it's an excellent radio for the money. The firmware is not upgradeable, which is really its only weak point. Otherwise, it delivers as advertised. Don't let the 8 watt power rating fool you - the difference between 5 and 8 watts is actually very small when converted to additional usable distance.

If I could buy only one again, it would be the VX-8DR.

73 - David, AG4F

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
I should mention that I previously had the Kenwood TH-F6A. I also agree with N9JCQ - it's an excellent unit as well as the ones I mentioned. When I sold mine, it was only to help finance the purchase of the VX-8DR because I wanted the APRS functionality. Otherwise, I had no issues with the F6A.

I recall reading something about a manufacturer coming out with a new handheld that would work with all the current digital modes (i.e. Icom D-STAR, Yaesu C4FM/FDMA, etc.), but I don't remember where I saw that. Can anyone point me towards the website with that info?

SCPD

QRT
icom

What would I buy? Any thing that had Icom on it.
I really like Icom products.

73's:Kevin.

Problems with Icom :

1.Low audio usually 100 milliwatts on most of their HTs and receivers.(hard to hear in mobile or outside environments.
2.Everything is optional ,(even the new mobile the IC-2730 you have to buy the mounting bracket?Really..........)
3.Design issues,Mosfets that burn out with long talkers.(my ic7000 died on 440mhz )
4.Complex to use (try inputting a repeater takes 4 different screens)
5.replacement parts are expensive.
6.Service is expensive (if you are not able to fix yourself,I can however)

2 cents:
Kenwood,it just works.
Alinco is easy to use as well,forgot to mention them.They arent too pricey.

PS dont waste your time with DSTAR its crap! Bad codec means bad sound,cuts your simplex range in half.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have both the Kenwood TH-F6 & TH-D72. Both are decent radios, but for back country usage I would suggest the D72. This model has built in GPS, as a back up, and APRS capability, if necessary.

As a bonus, the battery is the same as some of their commercial models. That bit gives you drop-in charger capability, if you are around an agency that uses those radios.

Regardless of which radio you choose, I would buy the alkaline battery adapter, just in case.

Sent via Tapatalk

KJ6HCB

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! Im not going to mess with the digital stuff I dont think, but I may need to rethink the APRS thing a bit as those capabilities may be nice if Im out in the middle of nowhere...

N8IAA

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! Im not going to mess with the digital stuff I dont think, but I may need to rethink the APRS thing a bit as those capabilities may be nice if Im out in the middle of nowhere...

You may want to rethink if 'in the middle of nowhere' with only 5, or 6 watts of output. Have had both the FT60 and the F-6. Liked the extra receive of the 6, but not the size of the screen.
Larry

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And APRS is only useful if there are digipeaters and I-gates that can hear you. In other words, if you are in an area where voice repeaters can't hear you, it's entirely likely that there won't be any APRS infrastructure that can hear you, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.