I just. picked up a Yaesu ft101e
I am just starting out and have a lot to learn
It gets down to - 40 celsius up here
I have this radio set up in my garage
and the temp. does not go below freezing very often
as it is an attached garage. Will I have any problems
leaving the. radio out and operating it in the cold. I have it
in a cabinet with doors and I was thinking of installing a light bulb
inside the cabinet to generate heat. You might be surprised how much heat a 60 or 100 watt
light can generate in a closed cabinet.

I look forward to hearing comments on this issue
as well as any ideas.

Thanks

N8IAA

First, does it work? It is over thirty years old. Second, do you have back up tubes for the finals? Paper capacitors do go bad on those boat anchors too. Believe me, you won't need a lamp to keep the radio warm:D
Larry

K4EET

Chaplain
Oh how I love the tube rigs (see my shack picture of my Heathkit SB-102). I also have always wanted a FT-101e (Yaesu FT-101E, Yaesu FT-101EE, Yaesu FT-101EX Transceiver). Nice radio. If I remember correctly, it uses 6JS6C sweep tubes for finals and the rest is definitely solid state.

Like N8IAA said, the rig will keep things warm ***if*** you leave it on. Otherwise, the 100W light bulb might be a good idea. The storage and operating temperature specs for the FT-101e are unknown from what I can see. One service manual for tune-up is found here. Keeping it warm for operating will be key for frequency stability.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaesu_FT-101#Specifications, "The 1975 FT-101E 160-10m band transceiver with RF speech processor was brought out in 3 subtypes: early (ser # <15000) with (PB1494) Processor board; mid - (ser # 15001-20500) with (PB1534) Processor board and late (ser # >20501) with (PB1534A) processor, (PB1547A) regulator, (PB1183C) IF, (PB1315B) audio and (PB1582) blanker boards."

Also, be sure to check out the Fox Tango International Group and FT-101 section at Yaesu FT-101 HF Transceiver Web Page presented by Fox Tango International.

Have fun with your FT-101e!

73, Dave K4EET

OK now for the fun part.It says I have to tune the radio first
1 peak preselector for maximum noise / not sure how to do this?????
2 meter in IC
3 mode switch - tune
4 rotate carrier fully counter clockwise
5 key Mike and increase setting of carrier until current increases to 50ma above idle

When I key the mike I get no increase or response!
What am I doing wrong
Need help. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
As Larry said, did you verify it was operational before you bought it? This gear is old and if it has been sitting somewhere unused for a long time it could develop issues. I had an FT-101E back in the late 70s into early 80's and it was an excellent piece of gear. However, one has to understand how to operate it to get the best out of if. I learned a hard lesson as a novice by over driving it and wound up blowing the finals and frying a few resistors. After I replaced the finals and resistors I had no more issues after I backed off a little.

Do you have anyone nearby that can check it out for you or that understands how to use it and can side-saddle with you to get you up to speed?. It may need servicing to get it operational as well. Also what are you trying to tune it into - an antenna or dummy load?

finals

looks like I cooked the finals. never realized tubes were that fragile. Does anyone know the tube numbers for the ft101e and where I can get them. If anyone has some for sale let me know I'm in the market for new tubes!!!!!!!!!!!

N8IAA

looks like I cooked the finals. never realized tubes were that fragile. Does anyone know the tube numbers for the ft101e and where I can get them. If anyone has some for sale let me know I'm in the market for new tubes!!!!!!!!!!!

First, you need a dummy load to tune the radio into. It helps to have a Cantenna that can handle the power from the 101E. Then you never load it at full power.
Did the person who sold you the radio show you how to get it tuned to operate?
My Elmer, had a 101EE. My first radio was a Swan 350 that was very similar. I made sure that I had a supply of finals:D But, that was back in 1985 when I was first licensed. Soon after, I got tired of finding and testing tubes to make sure I could have a QSO.
My next radio was a Ten Tec Argonaut 509 QRP radio. No finals, YEAH!
My suggestion is that you buy a used solid state radio, a dummy load, a SWR/Watt meter, and find someone to help you set up the radio.
Larry

K4EET

Chaplain
When I key the mike I get no increase or response!
What am I doing wrong

The finals are sweep tubes IIRC but you still have not answered the question - - Was it a working radio when you bought it? Just because "I get no increase or response" does not mean blown finals. Anything could be wrong. Are you using a dummy load? What band? Etc., etc. etc. It sounds like you might be jumping to conclusions. Do you have an Elmer that knows how to tune that radio? And very fundamental, do you hear anything on receive? Do you even hear the 25 KHz calibration signal? There are a lot of questions to be answered before knowing if the radio will work with or without new finals. If they are 6JS6C sweep tubes that I previously mentioned, they are $58.12 each from 6JS6C Beam Power Pentode Tube [VT-6JS6C] - $58.12 : ElectronTubeStore.com, Raw Materials and Components so you do not want to be wrong!

73, Dave K4EET

when I got the radio I hooked it up not knowing the crazy tune up that I had to follow.
I was using a high gain clr2 with a low swr. I started playing around with it and I was receiving
well. After a while it stopped receiving. I am guessing that my inexperience with these radios
is going to be a costly mistake

K4EET

Chaplain
when I got the radio I hooked it up not knowing the crazy tune up that I had to follow.

All tube finals tune up that way...

I was using a high gain clr2 with a low swr.

That is a CB antenna!!! What band were you tuning on? Even 10 meters might have too high of an SWR to be safe for the radio. Always, always, always tune up into a dummy load first. Then re-tune all over again when switching to a properly tuned antenna.

I started playing around with it and I was receiving
well. After a while it stopped receiving.

Blown finals have nothing to do with received signals...

I am guessing that my inexperience with these radios is going to be a costly mistake

Still not enough troubleshooting to tell if it is a $2 diode problem in the receiver, a $50 capacitor problem in the power supply, a $105 tube problem in the finals or if you have multiple problems. I would suggest seeking out a Yaesu tech and have your rig troubleshot, a quote made for repairs and then decide whether to sell it unrepaired and purchase a known good radio or have it repaired. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

73, Dave K4EET

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Just a reminder that buying and selling in the forums is not permitted.

N8IAA

any one local have finals for sale

First, take a step or two back. A couple of deep breathes. You still haven't told us whether it was in working condition when you bought it.
Does the person with the tubes know how to show you how to properly tune the radio? Can he check the tubes to really see if they are blown?
Do you have a valid ham license?

Larry

He said it was in working condition. How do I check to see if they are blown. No I am not a ham yet
Will be studying this winter. I haven't had to study for a test in 50 years , not sure if I am up to it

N8IAA

He said it was in working condition. How do I check to see if they are blown. No I am not a ham yet
Will be studying this winter. I haven't had to study for a test in 50 years , not sure if I am up to it

Take it back to him. Have him show you how to tune it. Then have him hook it to an antenna and operate the radio.
That's what I did when I bought my first tube radio. Better safe than sorry.
Larry

K4EET

Chaplain
No I am not a ham yet. Will be studying this winter. I haven't had to study for a test in 50 years , not sure if I am up to it

I was using a high gain clr2 with a low swr.

I think I see where this is going. The FT-101e has the following frequency coverage from:
FT-101E - FT-277E Amateur Yaesu-Musen Co. Ltd.; Tokyo, build

Yaesu HF-Transceiver FT-101E.
Frequency range: 160 to 10 m HAM-Bands plus CB

Since the Yaesu FT-101e covers the CB frequencies and since you are possibly not up to getting your ham license and since you are actually using a CB antenna, was the whole intent of this purchase to be a very expensive CB base station? :roll:

Be honest now...

73, Dave K4EET

since you have made a lot of assumptions through your undeveloped skills as a detective

I will not cry foul. I simply acquired a radio and any equipment I could find. As I have made a few bad purchases I have begun to realize the learning curve is greater than I had previously perceived.

As far as becoming a ham and gaining a license this was the reason for my purchases. I have all winter to study and look forward to accomplishing my goal. Instead of playing detective why not put your efforts to better use. For example you may have noticed I have no clue as to setting up this radio ,that being said perhaps you write down in laymen's terms the procedure for setting this radio
up properly. Anyway enough said , I am sure you are a fine upstanding gentleman and I look forward to your tutorial.

Thank you

K4EET

Chaplain
since you have made a lot of assumptions through your undeveloped skills as a detective I will not cry foul. <snip>

I think I see where this is going. <snip>

Since the Yaesu FT-101e covers the CB frequencies and since you are possibly not up to getting your ham license and since you are actually using a CB antenna, was the whole intent of this purchase to be a very expensive CB base station? <snip>

Thank you for not crying foul. :) Notice in my post I used limiting statements such as "I think..." and "...you are possibly..." and then a question "...was the whole intent..." so I did not say anything definitive. Your statements had a LOT of circumstantial evidence that prompted me to ask you for clarification. And that you have now done. Thank you.

As far as becoming a ham and gaining a license this was the reason for my purchases. I have all winter to study and look forward to accomplishing my goal. <snip>

That is great. I built my entire Heathkit SB-102 tube transceiver before I had a ham license in 1974 so I could learn morse code. I also had a dummy load to transmit in to at no RF drive, i.e. no power output with Mic/CW gain turned to zero. If you need any help while studying for your license, by all means ask in the appropriate forum(s). I bet there are many hams here willing to be your Elmer (including me).

Sooooooo... If you want us to help you, you are going to have to stop looking for tubes (which may not be the problem) and answer our questions and work with us. The Yaesu instructions to tune the transmitter that I will use to coach you along is found at:

http://foxtango.org/ft101/graphics/Transmitter%20Tune%20UP.JPG

Now, before we get in to the actual tuning of the transmitter, you MUST have the transmitter connected to a dummy load capable of INTERMITTENTLY handling the transmitter's full output of 130 Watts. If you do not have an adequate dummy load, this one would be good to have.

Dummy load, 0-500MHz, 100W, dry

zmf-261.jpg

It only costs $26 and will be a must-have for helping you. With this dummy load, you will protect the finals (if they are still good) but you can only leave the transmitter keyed for 15 seconds and then leave it unkeyed for 45 seconds (25% duty cycle). If you can afford a larger dummy load that handles more power, that would be better. Bigger is better :lol: allowing you to transmit in to the dummy load for longer periods of time.

Gigaparts full line of dummy loads are found here. They have 300 watt dummy loads for about $37. Just make sure you get either PL-259 or SO-239 connectors with the appropriate cable to connect to the FT-101e's RF output.

Once you tell me that you have a dummy load like the one shown above (or similar), I'll start walking you through the tuning instructions.

Is that a fair deal? Meanwhile, I'll try to find a pictorial of the FT-101e's front panel to refer to as we go through the tuning instructions. If you have Skype, I am also willing to go through the instructions in real-time so I can see/hear the results after each step.

Let me know if this sounds like a plan.

Finally, it would be "really nice" if you would read through our postings thus far and respond to our questions and comments. That will help all of us better understand your situation. For example, can the seller of the rig show you that it in-fact is a working rig or is that not possible and if so, why?

Looking forward to helping you with your FT-101e and also helping you get your ham license.

73, Dave K4EET

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I'm in agreement with many of the others

here about the FT-101. I have one setting on my comms desk and it is one heavy boat anchor. Will not really a boat anchor because it does work.
The best thing to do is get a totally solid state rig like others have mentioned. To try and explain how to properly set up the 101 isn't all that hard, but you should have some basic knowledge in those type of rigs to start with. If you would do some research on the net, using Google, you could download the operators' manual, and the service manual.
I'll not get into the legalities of using that rig other than to state that if you operate and pee off some hams, well 'nough said.
Oh, BTW, don't think the finals are shot, kind of think a biasing resistor could be at fault; but that's just my thinking. It could be several other reasons too.

Status
Not open for further replies.